[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

Commerce as Optional

edited September 2015 in Commerce & Management
So how many of you are willing to take commerce, all BCOM, BBM, MBAs are invited..!!!

>1st paper deals with Accountancy, Taxation, Audit, FM and some part on Investments,
>2nd paper deals with HR,

Books i prefer :D
>For 1st, CA module, Taxman, I M pandey-FM
>For 2nd, Ashwasthapa, Robbinson.

Scoring for those who are CA/ICWA/ or UG,PG in commerce, MBA(finance) :)>-

because background will help to handle the twist if it comes(Hail UPSC), Hence more secure from a new just known subject( mostly Public Ad) and further with a voluminous syllabus of GS less time will be needed to cover the optional part.

So bring in your thoughts!!!
| Commerce | "Conformity is the slowest form of Suicide."
·

Comments

• @root
    Please put this thread under Mains with Tag Commerce optional as we have Anthro, Geo, Pol Science, etc.
    so that it can come under the list(on the right hand side of forum)

Will be helpful for all

Thanks
    :)
    ·
  • I am from engineering background and have done MBA in finance... i am planning to either choose management or commerce.. Still undecided though....
    ·
  • I am from engineering background and have done MBA in finance... i am planning to either choose management or commerce.. Still undecided though....
    I think, choosing the subject in which you are PG is the safest option, you will be handle any twist that comes and we all UPSC's goodwill.
    ·
  • Can anyone guide us about which classes to join in delhi for commerce as an optional?
    I was confused earlier between Pub Ad and Commerce....Pubad for obvious reasons..But after checking the syllabus of both I decided to take commerce as it was my graduation subject..Some parts of both Commerce and HR were in MBA too..Plus it would allow me to spend more time on GS...
    ·
  • me too a graduate in commerce, initially thot of going with commrce as optional but after going thru the previous year question papers i've dropped the idea and switched to Geo. the other reason is very few candidates choose commerce as optional so very limited guidance/help available on how to tackle the questions.. more over Geo helps in some part of GS mains paper.thts a little advantage over commerce as optional.

Choose optional based on your personal interest and syallabus and guidance availibilty on the sub from seniors.
    ·
  • @Napoleanrules

Bro even i have same profile, Commerce Grad with MBA(Finance) and i found the papers comfortable to score,
    Are you referring to any particular topic like taxation, audit or basic accountancy, Because except Taxation questions, i think the paper is not too tough to crack :D
    ·
  • @Vazu

I think, choosing the subject in which you are PG is the safest option, you will be handle any twist that comes and we all UPSC's goodwill.

Thanks Vazu. Since I am not from commerce background I am very weak when it comes to questions on journal entries and trial balance appearing in Accountancy paper. Though, I am not exactly a beginner on these topics. I would appreciate if you could suggest a book which could cater to my needs.
    Thanks in Advance :)

·
  • @Vazu

Thanks Vazu. Since I am not from commerce background I am very weak when it comes to questions on journal entries and trial balance appearing in Accountancy paper. Though, I am not exactly a beginner on these topics. I would appreciate if you could suggest a book which could cater to my needs.
    Thanks in Advance :)

In MBA, all have to go through the basics of accountancy and taxation but the approach is more of Management's perspective rather of an accountant's and which will actually help in the FM part of paper 1.

Coming to the point, for basic, you can try either of three;
    1.) CA module or NATA coaching notes(this institute is now a Temple for CA aspirants)
    2.) Notes from any good coaching institute in your locality for 11th and 12th commerce(CBSE).
    3.) Maheshwari S N and Maheshwari S K, “ An Introduction to Accountancy”, Vikas Publishing House.

Either of them is sufficient for covering major portion of Accountancy of Paper 1.

Hope it helps
    :D
    ·
  • I am also taking commerce as an optional, keep in touch guys....
    ·
  • Hello guys,

I hope you all did well in exam, many speculations are flowing here and there but don't loose hope and get ready for mains preparation.

So what are the plan for commerce takers,

What to start, How to start, which book, etc

Bring in your doubts, discussions will benefit all :)

·
  • commerce is a very good optional
    got 149+141 this year
    rank 237
    a bit lengthy but worth the effort.....compensated for my horrible pub ad marks (53+106)
    ·
    got 149+141 this year
    rank 237
    a bit lengthy but worth the effort.....compensated for my horrible pub ad marks (53+106)
    ohh great, can you please share the booklist.

·
  • rankers class notes
    selected books from delhi university b.com(h)
    ·
  • rankers class notes
    selected books from delhi university b.com(h)
    can you please
    1.) share the source to buy those notes as am not from delhi,
    2.) Name of the authors, no idea of DU's booklist.

Thanks for the reply :)
    ·
    got 149+141 this year
    rank 237

ohh great, can you please share the booklist.

Sachin,

Great to see your score in commerce and your overall rank... Congrats :)

It would be great if you could share in some detail, your strategy for preparation of Commerce. Also, it would be very helpful if you could suggest the booklist in detail and from where could they be bought. TIA :)
    ·
  • please share your strategy for preparation of commerce ...as i am also not at delhi ,so that we can decide how to proceed for it as it seems to be too wide !!
    ·
  • I gave mains with commerce as my first optional last year and i got my expected marks but ruined by pub admin :(( . My suggestion for the people who want to opt commerce as their optional is that - It would be risky to take commerce if u have not studied it in grads or post grads...

1. paper 1 is more of a practical paper (also scoring) and to master it one requires good amount of practice.
    2. The syllabus is lengthy :D
    3. Your competition would be with ca's & icwa's. B-)

The best thing about commerce is that It's a scoring paper..
    ·
  • abelin1809 As Commerce is not opted by many so the Market for Commerce as a optional is very small so there are few Coaching Institutions for commerce and there products are of average quality.. ~X(
    ·
  • edited May 2013
    @all

By the time seniors comeup with their booklist, PFA VajiRam's booklist for commerce :)

PS: Seniors please review this list and provide suggestions.
    pdf
    pdf
    Commerce_booklist.pdf
    ·
  • M new to this overall setup of UPSC.. I have query regarding choosing a optional subject for mains.. Would like to know hw scoring is Commerce and Accountancy as a optional sub for Mains? and plz suggest me with some ref books for the same.. I jus gave my CA final Attempt..
    ·
  • @all

By the time seniors comeup with their booklist, PFA VajiRam's booklist for commerce :)

Thanks for the booklist.

I have been searching for this book on Fundamentals of Corporate Accounting by Monga (as mentioned in this list) but could not find it on Flipkart (says discontinued) or any other online sites. Are you aware of any other decent book on Corporate Accounting? Would be great if could let me know the same :)
    ·
  • commerce is a pretty good option only problem it has is lack of good coaching and decent material also it won't help in GS prep. rest one can score good marks(courtesy accountancy questions).

one common mistake that people commit with this option is that going too deep in the subject no need to do the CA modules. focus should be on graduation concepts. monga is the best one for corporate accounting. you can find it in most bookshops also second hand book market daryaganj(sunday) easily. @thegametheorist :)
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
    ·
  • edited June 2013
    @all

Thanks for the booklist.

I have been searching for this book on Fundamentals of Corporate Accounting by Monga (as mentioned in this list) but could not find it on Flipkart (says discontinued) or any other online sites. Are you aware of any other decent book on Corporate Accounting? Would be great if could let me know the same :)
    commerce is a pretty good option only problem it has is lack of good coaching and decent material also it won't help in GS prep. rest one can score good marks(courtesy accountancy questions).

one common mistake that people commit with this option is that going too deep in the subject no need to do the CA modules. focus should be on graduation concepts. monga is the best one for corporate accounting. you can find it in most bookshops also second hand book market daryaganj(sunday) easily. @thegametheorist :)
    After going through the paper it seems the level of accountancy is not of CA level, but I think they will not give any* marks if we failed to balance the BS, Hence its better to read from a upper level source and also CA module isn't tough.

·
  • @all

Thanks for the booklist.

commerce is a pretty good option only problem it has is lack of good coaching and decent material also it won't help in GS prep. rest one can score good marks(courtesy accountancy questions).

After going through the paper it seems the level of accountancy is not of CA level, but I think they
    will not give any* marks if we failed to balance the BS, Hence its better to read from a upper level source and also CA module isn't tough.

Many thanks guys. I am actually based in Mumbai, so not sure if I could find the book by Monga. Hence, I have decided to buy Modern Accountancy by Hanif and Mukherjee. I want to spend some time to get comfortable with accounting. Actually, during last few days I read Class 12 accountancy book by NCERT. And in my opinion it could be a good starting point for a guy like me who does not have a commerce background. By the way, where could one get CA Modules? Online searches have proved futile.

On a separate note, low activity on this thread makes me feel that number of people going for commerce wont be substantial, which may not be a good sign.
    ·
  • commerce is a pretty good option only problem it has is lack of good coaching and decent material also it won't help in GS prep. rest one can score good marks(courtesy accountancy questions).

Hi, i read all conversation. .and it felt pretty gud to find a separate group for Commerce..:-) here,m writing to support woodpecker. .i myself a CA. .n seeing previous years paper i didn't find them tough that can't b solved without going thru CA modules. .For me ,graduation level books can do the work here satisfactorily. . What is mentioned here as Corporate Accounting, we CAs had as Financial Management. .and even if one is interested in doing work till CA level, then better to opt for books available in market for CA course instead of their Module. .because even we found CA module tough to read while doing it. .:-)
    ·
This discussion has been closed.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog