Module Coaching. How? Where? HELP!

Hello people

I have been really confused whether to join an Institute or not? By doing a great deal of research I concluded that one year courses generally suck even at Vajiram and Sriram because not the entire faculty is upto the mark. And paying almost 1.5 lakh for GS at a go seems illogical.

Most seniors are suggesting not to waste money for GS. But then I want to for the required guidance. I have analysed that module wise coaching is more benefiting than the big names.

I wanted to know in order to prepare module wise, how should I start? Apart from Baliyan, Mohanty, Puri, Ramesh Singh, Alok Ranjan is there anyone else who I should consider? Are there classes in karol bagh itself?

Comments

• Almost all the coaching institutes have their classes in Old Rajinder Nagar/Karol Bagh area itself.
    My suggestion would be not to join too many of the 'module' coachings, believe me commuting and attending 3-4 classes will be very hectic. Can definitely opt for coaching for your optional, if you're starting from scratch.
    Start from the NCERT, gauge your level of comfort in the subjects, then go for the required ones. And remember, though guidance is required for the initial thrust, but self study is the only key. :-bd
    In the midst of fearful uncertainties, romanticize the countless possibilities...
  • if asking for mains, it is seriously not advisable to join any single coaching, but it is accpted fact, which soon you will realise that, in GS not much of coaching is required, pattern has become too random to predict, post 2013 monopoly of evry coaching is reduced to large extent.

2. with websites like forumias, iasbaba, insights which give daily news summary, yojana summary, daily practice ques, it is illogical to join any coaching,

3. if you are first timer, then as @Kugelschreiber points out go through NCERT, analyse your level, talk to friends and seniors then decide

4. almost all coaching notes, test series papers are available at ber sarai, orn and MN

5. go through basic books, there is a separate thread on this section, then decide for joining any classes, 1.5 is way too much

6. do not join too many classes, giving my example, i have joined Visionias for PA and GS, test series, its hard to manage both :P you will be exausted+no time left for self study
    ABT
  • Either join a foundation program if you are looking for guidance and help with your basis, if not then go for modules for help with your weak subjects
  • Time barbaad hoga , bahut jyada !!
    Essay 2014 - 69
    Essay 2015 - 118
    Mujhe mahfil ki khwahish thi mili tanhaaiyan mujhko .
  • module u can't join more than 1/2 at time as are also pretty time consuming so v r now at basics level do ncert n couple of other basic books meanwhile u take module for paper ur weak n ur optional.
    plus join one pre(insight/gkt/vision) n one mains test series(vision/ gs score) n try I mean try to finish syllabus according to exam schedule. saying is easy doing all this for fresher is hard at times vajiram feels gud as it will provide coaching of both optional n gs ,require no traveling here there.
  • I feel a structured shortish is required at times.. Joining foundation has been quite helpful for me cuz I could clear my concepts better and I could follow a structure but that's also because we have been following a two subjects at one time approach
    Plus personal attention from the teachers really helps
  • As commented by @futureofupsc I too intend to do classes for 2 subjects at a time.

@dusrath123 @TABAHIIIII @abhishekiitb @Kugelschreiber so it isn't like I will gulp everything at once. Modules take 2 months as I have learnt. And fresh batches start accordingly. Won't that still benefit?

I have just started so I dont really have the idea. When I study everything is understandable unlike subjects like maths or science where you need a teacher to explain the methods and theories. It might sound funny but I haven't been able to figure out which subject I am weak at.

I believe I just am wanting a kick start for subjects like History / Polity etc which I left at school ages back.

• You can take a look at http://neostencil.com they offer many courses, that you can combine. I'm taking one paid course from them and ofcourse the free one they offered recently http://neostencil.com/course/pavankumarias_12985/
  • basically its a tech startup by iitians so the support etc is good and teachers are all from ORN but there are only limited reviews so I am taking only one step at a time. my experience has been positive so far..plan to do more courses in future
  • hi @snehashikta can you please share if you found a good strategy for preparing this way?
    Remember that, kid, so whatcha wanna do
  • can some1 name the teachers who are best in their module ??
  • I feel a structured shortish is required at times.. Joining foundation has been quite helpful for me cuz I could clear my concepts better and I could follow a structure but that's also because we have been following a two subjects at one time approach
    Plus personal attention from the teachers really helps

Which coaching?

You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.
  • Also what would be the ideal time to join if I am going to appear in 2017?
    TIA
    You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.
  • What are the best modules available in delhi..??
    Should i go for modules or vajiram...??
    please help
  • +1
    same query
  • For gs 2 u can definetly try m.puri sir classes
  • @Ajit Singh1 - thanks so much..
This discussion has been closed.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog