Invitation : Attend OPEN Classes on Current Affairs for Mains 2017 on 16th & 17th at 11AM

Walk in to the Test Center at 11AM Today or Register for the 2 Days Open Classes, or enroll for the ONLINE / OFFLINE Current Affairs for Mains 2017 by visiting the below link http://blog.forumias.com/currentaffairs2017. A registration fee of Rs. 50/day is charged for the two day event to have a correct estimate of the number of people attending.

Sociology Answer Writing Thread

Dear Guys ,

Here is a full fledged Sociology answer writing thread. Please spare few a minutes to go through the following to make this thread very effective and successful.

Some Thoughts

1.) Since Sociology is a multi dimensional paper every question will have multiple structures and views. So there is no need for everyone writing answers for the same question which will become cumbersome. So if one gives an intro other can add up to it in order to get diverse views on the same topic.

2.) Post more of analytical and out of the box questions similar to UPSC types so that we don't end up writing in very well known topics which anyway we optional people are well versed at. For Example Marx and Capitalism can be written by anyone but questions like how is Value Neutrality Different from Objectivity needs work.

3.) Let us post from previous year question papers initially to get clarity of what to write and what not to write

4.) What is more important is to frame questions by ourselves as and when we read a syllabus and also from newspapers so that we will look at the current affairs from a sociological angle and thus there twin benefits that it may come in the exam and also will improve our reading with respect to current affairs based questions.

5.) Write your answers in a crisp points form so that it will be easy to read and add and very important thing is write the answers from a Sociological perspective so that it won't suffer from GS types which are thoroughly disliked by the examiner.

Thanks for the patience. Now we can make the debut.

@all sociology aspirants irrespective of written prelims or not please try to participate and lets make this a win win \m/
Cmon...i aint gonna bite you
·

Comments

• Here i tag socio optional people who i know
    @Jaime_Lannister
    @sneha_24
    @Game_Changer
    @MD47
    @INeeDtoGetIn
    @CAESAR
    @itachi
    @krisco1811
    @Mistletoe
    @willhunting
    @Shkk
    @all socio aspirants

Welcome :)>-
    ·
  • From where are you doing writing practice means source of question?
    ·
  • edited September 2015
    Let me start with some Questions

Stratification (P-1)

1.)Distinguish between people being socially excluded and people excluding themselves in societies. (2010,2013 )

Thinkers and social change(P-1)

2.)Cybernetic Hierarchy of Control (2010)

Social Change in India (P-2)

3.)Tradition and modernity are misplaced polarities in the study of social change in India. (2011)

4.)"Protective Discrimination not only protects but also discriminates" Comment (2011)
    ·
  • Questions from chapter1:

Q1. "Sociology emerged in Europe and flourished to begin with on social reformist orientation in the USA." Comment. 150w (2013)

Q2. Sociology without history is rootless and history without sociology is friutless. Elaborate (2010)

Q3. How is sociological approach to human actions different from that of psychological approach? 150W (2014)
    ·
  • Is there any book in d market that gives model answers for Previous UPSC question papers??
    Kindly reply
    ·
  • Model answers are useless. If you really have problem in answer writing I suggest join a good test series where teacher interact like Vikas ranjan at chronicle. Vision is good but their discussion isn't good enough. You can also practice past year question, get jnu or du sociology questions if you want to put really extra effort in answer writing.
    "ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants"
    ·
  • Is Durkheim's theory of social fact contradictory to human rights?
    It's a jnu question and also asked in Vikas ranjan's test series.
    ·
  • Is Durkheim's theory of social fact contradictory to human rights?
    It's a jnu question and also asked in Vikas ranjan's test series.
    Sir please we are really thankful that you shared the question here and will want your further contribution in this regard.
    Though we would really appreciate your effort if you mention the details about a particular coaching in the relevant thread where we all had previously discussed.
    Thank you >:D<
    In order to survive,we cling to all we know & understand.And we label it reality.
    But knowledge & understanding are ambiguous.That reality could be an illusion. All humans live with the wrong assumptions.
    Isn't that another way of looking at it???
    ·
  • edited September 2015
    The idea of social fact of Durkheim is revolving around three aspects namely, internal to society, external to individual and constraining character. A society’s norms, customs, rules, laws, values collectively form social fact which an individual has to follow. Basically social fact is a product of collective feeling, collective thinking and collective acting. So it has an emerging character. E.g early we had only executive but then came legislature and eventually judiciary. An old social fact gives a way to a new social fact when we feel collectively, think collectively and act collectively. As far as human rights are concern, they are also a form social fact because it is also result of our collective feeling, thinking, acting. E.g In America there was discrimination till 1960s against black americans . the Americans felt that they were looked down and they felt deprived . this led to writing articles, discussion on multiple forums ,they developed quesionaries and these eventually resulted in collective acting of protest, civil movement and demand of human right of equality. So we can infer from the argument that social fact is not contradictory to human rights rather, in abroad sense, it is itself a form of social fact.
    ·
  • The idea of social fact of Durkheim is revolving around three aspects namely, internal to society, external to individual and constraining character. A society’s norms, customs, rules, laws, values collectively form social fact which an individual has to follow. Basically social fact is a product of collective feeling, collective thinking and collective acting. So it has an emerging character. E.g early we had only executive but then came legislature and eventually judiciary. An old social fact gives a way to a new social fact when we feel collectively, think collectively and act collectively. As far as human rights are concern, they are also a form social fact because it is also result of our collective feeling, thinking, acting. E.g In America there was discrimination till 1960s against black americans . the Americans felt that they were looked down and they felt deprived . this led to writing articles, discussion on multiple forums ,they developed quesionaries and these eventually resulted in collective acting of protest, civil movement and demand of human right of equality. So we can infer from the argument that social fact is not contradictory to human rights rather, in abroad sense, it is itself a form of social fact.
    You have not addressed the question, apart from the fact that some concepts are wrong.
    Faulty correlation has been made between human rights and social facts.
    CSE 2015. Got in.

CSE 2016. Hopefully, the hallowed All India Services.
    ·
  • please point out wrong entities.
    @INeeDtoGetIn
    ·
  • Will join u guys a day after tomorrow :)>-
    At first they will ask why you're doing it, later they'll ask how you did it!
    ·
  • please point out wrong entities.
    @INeeDtoGetIn
    "So it has an emerging character. E.g early we had only executive but then came legislature and eventually judiciary."

I don't think this is what is meant by emergent.

Anyway, on the broader point, the correlation was not made properly.
    It should have been something like this.

Social facts are based on the assumption that society is external to humans, and is constraining in character. Humans are devoid of any agency in Durkheim's sociology.

Whereas, the concept of Human Rights presupposes that the individual is the unit of society. And there are certain inalienable rights, which no society can take away. This implies that society is not an external force which constrains the individual, but as Marx says, the refication of society makes us perceive it as such.
    Society is the product of human agency, their community, in which a few rights are traded for more stability.

Thus, Durkheim in his quest for a scientific sociology created the tool of social facts, in which rules are derived from society and applied on the individual, whereas the concept of human rights believes that there are certain inalienable rights which no society can take away, i.e. the rules are derived from the individual and applied across societies.
    CSE 2015. Got in.

CSE 2016. Hopefully, the hallowed All India Services.
    ·
  • @Sleeplessnights_89 1.)Distinguish between people being socially excluded and people excluding themselves in societies. (2010,2013 )
    Social exclusion refers to ways in which individuals may get cut-off from participation in the wider community. There are four dimensions to people being socially excluded:
    1) Poverty- relates to material aspects like income.
    2) Exclusion from labour market
    3)Exclusion from services- like access to basic services like water and power supply
    4) Exclusion from social relations- people lack network of contacts and friends which inhibit their participation in social activities.
    Multi-dimensional Poverty index and Socio Economic Caste Census are some of the metrics applied to find out the population of socially excluded.
    On the other hand, people excluding themselves in societies refers to those at the very top of social hierarchy, the creme-de-la-creme. This section of the population deliberately excuses itself from usage of public healthcare and public education. They limit their political participation and cut themselves off from participation in the wider community. This tendency may be considered as a threat to social solidarity and cohesion.
    In God, we trust.
    ·
  • I'm using cellphone and not good at typing alot so I'll put it in a simple way. For ED, one social fact is product of another social fact. Human rights finds its origin in other social facts I.e collective morality of society developed by contemporary mass media etc. Therefore it is not contradictory.
    PS : the quest for human rights in one society may be originated in other. We live in a global world rights given by different constitution was inherited by Indian constituition.

·
  • @Sleeplessnights_89 1.)Distinguish between people being socially excluded and people excluding themselves in societies. (2010,2013 )
    Social exclusion refers to ways in which individuals may get cut-off from participation in the wider community. There are four dimensions to people being socially excluded:
    3)Exclusion from services- like access to basic services like water and power supply
    4) Exclusion from social relations- people lack network of contacts and friends which inhibit their participation in social activities.
    Multi-dimensional Poverty index and Socio Economic Caste Census are some of the metrics applied to find out the population of socially excluded.
    On the other hand, people excluding themselves in societies refers to those at the very top of social hierarchy, the creme-de-la-creme. This section of the population deliberately excuses itself from usage of public healthcare and public education. They limit their political participation and cut themselves off from participation in the wider community. This tendency may be considered as a threat to social solidarity and cohesion.
    Can we also include the people who lead a life of recluse. This can be justified on the basis of Merton's theory of deviance in which he has talked about the retreatists who give up both goals acceptable to society as well as the culturally sanctioned structural means available to achieve those goals.
    ·
  • The imp aspect is how defmd our answer than what stand we choose imo.
    ·

Can we also include the people who lead a life of recluse. This can be justified on the basis of Merton's theory of deviance in which he has talked about the retreatists who give up both goals acceptable to society as well as the culturally sanctioned structural means available to achieve those goals.
    @chhotu your second part is good...ie people excluding themselves....first part we can also state Race, Class, caste in India . Also can explain the highlighted part because mere stating is not enough
    @willhunting Merton's theory is good...we can also add Parsonian unanticipated consequences of development theory and capitalism...good for start....lets keep writing guys \m/
    ·
  • edited September 2015

2.)Cybernetic Hierarchy of Control (2010)

Structural-functional school of thought studied the institutions of society with primary concern on social stability.

According to Parsons this stability was provided through interaction between various sub-systems of the action system like Cultural, Social and Personality system and behavioral organism.

The stability was provided through the AGIL processes. The systems controlled one another and also facilitated the flow of energy and information.

Parsons equated this to cybernatics, wherein for eg., the brain and the nervous system control the body through information communication by various media. The other organs further this information and also perform the so communicated necessary actions. This way the body functions in a hierarchy in which the higher systems control the lower and the lower ones achieve actionable goals for bodily sustenance.

In his action system of society the culture system was at the highest level of this hierarchy. It peformed the "latency" function, which gave avenues for tension release, pattern maintenance, inter-generational information transmission (culture, roles etc) and ensured certain continuity in society. Similarly the social system performed "integration", personality system "attained goals" and the organismic system "adapted" to the external environment. The flow of information was from top to bottom and the flow of energy was from bottom to top in this hierarchy of control just as it is in the human-cybernatic system.

@Sleeplessnights_89
    And thanks for this thread.

Sleepless Yow rock Jamie \m/
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    https://www.facebook.com/jaime.kngslyr.1
    https://twitter.com/JFL_Kingslayer
    https://jflkingslayer.blogspot.in/
    jlkingslayer@gmail.com
    ·
  • @Sleeplessnights_89 , sleepy since u can edit ppl comment like u did in jamie's that means u can do one thing also.
    means at the top now or later reserve 10 posts.
    in them later chapter wise questions n relevant point by editing regularly(if not much headache), so that all BEST or RELEVANT points by different ppl will come together at one place with DIFFERENT APPROACHES.
    see if u feel its worth it :)
    In order to survive,we cling to all we know & understand.And we label it reality.
    But knowledge & understanding are ambiguous.That reality could be an illusion. All humans live with the wrong assumptions.
    ·
  • edited September 2015
    @all
    I have discussed this thing with @Shkk and he has agreed, now I'm asking your valuable opinion on the issue

I'm willing to take charge to frame questions and subsequently discuss answers related to CA from a sociological perspective as I have maintained notes on various topics coming in newspapers

I propose that Sunday should be kept for this thing.....In this way we will cover both conventional and current in detail

Please share your views on this
    Thanks
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"
    ·
  • @Sleeplessnights_89 , sleepy since u can edit ppl comment like u did in jamie's that means u can do one thing also.
    means at the top now or later reserve 10 posts.
    in them later chapter wise questions n relevant point by editing regularly(if not much headache), so that all BEST or RELEVANT points by different ppl will come together at one place with DIFFERENT APPROACHES.
    see if u feel its worth it :)
    @itachi boss first try to contribute by writing answers...only then we should think about editing and stuff... ;)
    ·
  • @all
    I have discussed this thing with @Shkk and he has agreed, now I'm asking your valuable opinion on the issue

I'm willing to take charge to frame questions and subsequently discuss answers related to CA from a sociological perspective as I have maintained notes on various topics coming in newspapers

I propose that Sunday should be kept for this thing.....In this way we will cover both conventional and current in detail

Please share your views on this
    Thanks
    Yeah good approach MD.... :\"> i will also frame questions on current affairs of whatever topics i have noted :)>-
    ·

• @Sleeplessnights_89
    Great
    But let's keep one particular day for it so that it remains organised.... Sunday is fine?
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"
    ·
  • @MD47 ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
    @Sleeplessnights_89 sleepy sorry but I am unable to contribute the way you ppl are doing right now, yaar I am not able to write the test series or watch the discussion yet, so u cn understand my situation wrt time. (i was/am working professional n took sociology for the 1st time so m not well prepared, rushed last year)
    I js gave the suggestion coz that will help everyone ;)
    i won't be able to contribute till m able to do few things that includes socio + current affars (backlog of last 2+ yrs :D ) n GS 1.

Though sometimes randomly i will bug u ppl ;) :P
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
1. Open Session on DAF Filling : What you fill in your Detailed Application form, will decide the marks you get in the Interview, the service that you will get and the state you will live in , for the rest of your life. Last but not the least, it will also decide who you will marry. Don't make mistakes. Join us for an open session on filling up the DAF. We will be assisted by ForumIAS Members who have secured a service or rank in this initiative.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog