MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 25th June (Evening)-5:15PM - 7:15PM & 29th June (Morning)-11AM-1PM ; FREE SEMINAR ON 25TH JUNE, 5.15PM Subject To Availability Of Seats
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal(Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar(Rank-200, 2016) (3) Athar Aamir 1st booklet and 2nd booklet(Rank-2)
ForumIAS Community Meet 2017 on 25th June at 11 AM - You are invited

Dear Friends, ForumIAS Annual Community Meet will be held on June 25th at 11AM in Old Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi. The Chief Guest for the event will be Suharsh Bhagat, IAS Rank 5, CSE 2014. Come join us , and meet ForumIAS members who have secured ranks this year. Click here to register

Is patriarchy inherently bad?

If yes, what is the alternative
Matriarchy?
No one head of family?

If no.. What improvement it needs in changing context?
·

Comments

• Yes patriarchy is inherently bad. And the alternative cannot be matriarchy because that is another form of authority. You need to have an equal and fair decision-making household where voices of both sides are heard and decisions taken, weighing pros and cons. In the end , everyone has a perspective and you need to find common ground. Why does anybody need to be the 'head' of the family? You can have roles designated but whatever be it, let that come out of consensus. When you talk of freedom and free will, you need to understand that everyone has a right to make a decision in the best interest of all. What patriarchy or matriarchy does is let someone else decide for you. Unilateral decision making is never good for it brings out subordination in a relationship and creates distance and disconnect. This is just my perspective.
    “It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.”
    ·
  • Nicely said Manjula .... Completely agreed --- but how can this be brought in practice --
    A person must be known for what he does not for what he says.
    ·
  • what are the ill effect of Patriarchy?
    ·
  • I believe that when you teach value education, you can include these values of equality and fairness, so that this could be inculcated from young. If you come from a patriarchal background(which most of us do come from) till you are not taught these values, you won't be able to practice it. So I guess parental teaching and value education from school should help to bring this out eventually. Diversity also helps.
    “It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.”
    ·
  • edited September 2015
    There is a very visible shift from democracy to technocracy. The public opinion too favours this shift. This entails that experts in the field should be in charge of that sector. The presumption is that their decisions will be in wider public interest and not self serving. But the latter is inevitable due to the inherent selfish nature of humans. Power is addictive and more you have it more of it you seek. Accumulation of excess power and its sustenance, is at the root of transformation from normal to malignant.

When people assert that patriarchy is bad, their vision is restricted to this malignant form. They analyse thus, not what the concept of patriarchy is, but what it has become.
    Semantics has contributed to this skewed vision greatly too.
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    ·
  • Go checkout Manwomanmyth vids on youtube you'll know why and how of patriarchy ;)
    ·
  • Does patriarchy mean taking unilateral decision ?
    ·
  • edited September 2015
    Patriarchy is deeply embedded in human psyche. Just look at some religious doctrines.

Son is always preferred , Even by the God,
    Holy son... Why not holy daughter????. :-? :-?

A husband leaves her pregnant wife in the jungle and we worship that man as a God.Look at the irony here, women worship this god more than men. Hahaha. :P

Whole religious books are filled with these stupid stories . :D

Conception of God itself is of patriarchal mindset. No one questions why God is male.
    I mean probability is 50-50, creator could be a female also. Why not ??? :-? :-?

Lets see how many girls support me on this. :P
    It is not the eyes that are blind but the heart
    ·
  • There is Matriarchial society in meghalaya. I heard in a video where female was saying that they don't trust male to handle Financial matters properly.
    ·
  • Yes patriarchy is inherently bad. And the alternative cannot be matriarchy because that is another form of authority. You need to have an equal and fair decision-making household where voices of both sides are heard and decisions taken, weighing pros and cons. In the end , everyone has a perspective and you need to find common ground. Why does anybody need to be the 'head' of the family? You can have roles designated but whatever be it, let that come out of consensus. When you talk of freedom and free will, you need to understand that everyone has a right to make a decision in the best interest of all. What patriarchy or matriarchy does is let someone else decide for you. Unilateral decision making is never good for it brings out subordination in a relationship and creates distance and disconnect. This is just my perspective.
    i agree that patriarchy is inherently bad...but as u said the decision made shud be in the best interest f all...who is going to decide whats in the best interest of all?either a male or a female?there cannot be consensus alwayz...there is bound to be conflicts...so any one has to make the final decision whats in the best interst of all...so whats the practical solution to it?
    I AINT GOT TIME TO BLEED !

·
  • @Vikooo

gods were not males only from the beginning,,in fact most of them were females,,,in indian civilisation also and in roman greek civilisation also...as the degree of patriarchy went on increasing more and more male gods started beig worshipped.

there was alwayz mther goddess,goddess of fertility,in india and egypt also during the indus valley civilisation period.
    there is cult of Shaktism in Hinduis.
    even today name of goddesses are taken before male gods during chanting like sita ram,radhe krishna,gauri shankar,etc.

·
  • There is Matriarchial society in meghalaya. I heard in a video where female was saying that they don't trust male to handle Financial matters properly.
    It's matrilineal, not matriarchal.
    I'm perfectly imperfect
    ·
    though as exceptions but still many matriarchal societies exist in the world , most of them among tribals,,,and tribals are considered more egalitaran in terms of gender differences than non tribal societies.ex todas of tamil nadu,meghalaya , samoa island tribes,some times back the warrior community in kerala was matriarchal.there r many examples bro.

·
  • patriarchy as a sociological concept is attached with the radical feminism ... to be more on lines i'd say contemporary radical feminism ..

patriarchy as we all know in layman we always confuse it with the gender stratification.. by that i mean if someone knows about gender stratification, s/he will confuse it with patriarchy .. mostly patriarchy in todays world in majority of discussions revolve around sexuality and decison making .. women doesn't have say in this or that or low paid jobs or any other such things but why the word patriarchy ?

literally patriarchy means rule by the father but now a days term used as to refer male dominance .. as per me this concept patriarchy is of little use and moreover its mostly used to express male dominance but that actually is not the case though i am not saying that theor is no inequality .. inequality exists, gender stratification has always been their but patriarchy ?

let us elaborate on an example of capitalism .. in capitalism their is an internal motor that explains it ... profit earned is necessary why ? because it keeps you in the business or else you will be out .. that means earn more profit at the expense of others or by any ither means to stay alive .. to stay in ... can we say same about patriarchy .. ? no ! why ?
    because if there will be no patriarchy will it be the end of males ... no!
    patriarchy then too radical of an approach that doesn't explain every single thing ... yeah gender stratification is something different and it can be sorted out by legislations and by other means .. but looking society as dominated by men or patriarch society is somewhat different from gender stratification ..

p.s.
    i have given a criticism to patriarchy because i am not much believer of this term .. being a feminist i do belive in gender stratification but patriarchy as per me is too radical of a way to look on males.. we are not that bad ! :)
    SUCCESS IS NOT BUILT ON SUCCESS. IT'S BUILT ON
    FAILURES. IT'S BUILT ON FRUSTRATIONS.
    SOMETIMES IT'S BUILT ON CATASTROPHE
    ·
  • I am yet to see any gender-neutral fella who talks big against patriarchy. I hear talks all around about patriarchy but hardly seen anybody who is pushing the boundary in personal life.
    I am a Disco dancer!! Ewwwwwwwwwww!!!
    ·
  • edited September 2015
    @Game_Changer
    i think few tribes are not only matrilineal but matriarchal also in meghalaya.ex- garo tribes

·
  • edited September 2015
    @infy
    may u tell few reasons for existence of gender stratification in the society?

·
  • Patriarchy is majorly responsible for many ills plaguing the world. No doubt it is inherently bad. What is correct is general consensus which takes into account views of both the genders. Then that way better decisions can be taken, propensity to commit mistakes would drastically reduce and the burden of failure , if unfortunately takes place, would be shared by all. Also the society would be more progressive and less obstructive.
    ·
  • JustAsking - Isn't Yudhishtira gambling Draupadi in Mahabharata a sign of India historically treating women as property?
    ·
  • @Game_Changer
    i think few tribes are not only matrilineal but matriarchal also in meghalaya.ex- garo tribes
    wait...not sure wether garo or khasis...few tribes have matrilineal family type but matriarchal societal organisation too..

·
  • @infy

patriarchy itself is the single biggest reason for gender stratification.

·
  • JustAsking - Isn't Yudhishtira gambling Draupadi in Mahabharata a sign of India historically treating women as property?
    absolutely. Mahabharat , ramayana etc were written during or after later vedic period so such discriminatory thinking. In early vedic period women got their due respect.
    ·
  • @Game_Changer

wait...not sure wether garo or khasis...few tribes have matrilineal family type but matriarchal societal organisation too..
    @CAESAR An excerpt from a book "The Khasis, the Jaintias and the Garos of Meghalaya were considered to be matriarchal societies where a woman or a mother was supposed to be the head of the family. But these tribes refuse to accept that their societies are truly matriarchal. Though descent is reckoned through the female line, yet man is the head of a family among them. Hence the three societies are not matriarchal but are matrilineal where descent is based on the mother or the female line while the family headship belongs to the males."
    I'm perfectly imperfect
    ·
    no...it can be an exception too...how can u generalise on the basis of one example?give more examples...m sure many more examples exist against this statement.

·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google