[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

IAS Topper Rank 9: Interact, Ask Questions & Seek Guidance for IAS Preparation

edited August 2015 in Featured
Hello folks,

@ashes joined the ForumIAS family two years ago. He has secured Rank 9 in the Civil Services Examination 2014. We congratulate him on his Success and would request him to answer questions that new members and aspirants for the Mains 2015 and CSE2015 and 2016 may have.

Ashish had Electrical Engineering Optional and he got 200+ marks in the Interview.

We request @ashes to answer queries from ForumIAS members before he leaves for the Lal Bahadur Shashtri National Academy of Administration next week and formally joins as IAS Probationer.

Members are requested to be patient in expecting a reply and ask questions here itself so that others can benefit from it. Also do not send PMs.

We thank @ashes for his time and effort.

·

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Look at the gs marks.!?! How?!? Why?
    So high optional marks and interview.
    Congratulations anyways.
    ·
  • Congrats Ashish. :)
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
    ·
  • Would you suggest someone from a mediocre engg. college (in IIIrd year right now) to take Electrical if he has no orgasmic interest in the subject ?
    ·
  • @ashes
    congrats!

Please throw light on ethics preparation.
    ·
  • @ForumIAS It seems there's some problem in downloading his Electrical engineering notes from dropbox. Is there a way out? Thanks a lot
    I'm perfectly imperfect
    ·
  • @ForumIAS It seems there's some problem in downloading his Electrical engineering notes from dropbox. Is there a way out? Thanks a lot
    Could you send us the link/page which you are trying to use?
    ·
  • @Ambi it has got nothing to do with the 'mediocrity' of the engineering college. If you feel you have a good command over the subject, then you should surely go ahead with it. I must admit not many who take electrical engineering as their optional subject do not have any special interest in their subject. Like for me I tried my hands on other subjects for a while but found it too hard a job to prepare for it along with the job. So in the end I eventually decided to go for Electrical Engineering since it was something I was more familiar with and was more comfortable handling it.
    Optional: Electrical Engineering
    CSE 2014 : AIR 09
    Blog: billano786.wordpress. com
    ·
  • @awmpuia_renthlei very true. marks are always a surprise both ways. Less marks in GS did surprise me the same way that such high marks in Electrical did. But I guess I had planned it that way. Heavy preparation for my optionals did exact a toll on my general studies.
    And Thanks.
    ·
  • @Game_ Changer I am aware of the issues. It has been suspended by dropbox due to some traffic considerations. I will try to share the notes on some other file sharing platform. It should get resolved by Monday.
    ·
  • Can u please tell...whether each step has to be shown in numericals to get 7/8 out of 10..

And how important is presentation in all the answers?.
    ·
  • Sir
    Can you please tell us how to write and present answers in engineering streams.

This year my optional was civil engineering. However inspite of doing fairly well in paper. I got only 220 and missed interview call by 15 marks.
    ·
  • @kaashonline Thank You :)
    1. There are two ways to do it. Either you do it one after the other or alongside. I find doing both alongside to be a much better way to study since that way you are always fresh with both the subjects. Your mind is forced to think both about the optional and GS each day. So you remain in touch with both.
    2. Do not wait for the syllabus to complete to start the Test Series. You might never be able to complete the syllabus. So start now. Now is the best time to start the test series. You cannot be sure that the questions in the ultimate exam will come from the portion you studied. So be prepared to answer something you have not studied. Test series gears you up for the same.
    3. Insights Daily questions can be productive too. But be mindful of the time. Allot an hour or an hour and 15 minutes for the questions. Time yourself. The challenge begins when you set time as a constraint. Do not go through the references beforehand. Force yourself to think about the answer without going through the references. If you go through the reference first and then answer, your thinking will get restricted to that particular article. So answer without looking and then you can compare with the reference and evaluate your answers.
    ·
  • @GudduRangeela In a proof take care to show all the steps. For a numerical, if certain formulaes are being used make explicit mention of them. As regards the steps, ideally you should try to include all the steps. Do not assume that the examiner will understand a particular thing on his own. However if you find that the space if constraining you from showing all the steps, you can leave out the most trivial ones.
    I do not think presentation matters to a great extent. Be straight to the point. Do not miss out anything. Draw block diagrams/circuit diagrams/figures where you can recollect them.
    ·
  • @ashes Congratulations sir! You have accomplished a great feet.
    I want to know if it is a good plan to go ahead with two test series, one for GS and other for Public Administration (my optional). I believe it will help me push myself do the syllabus better. Do you recommend if this strategy will be fine?
    ·
  • @resilient For ethics, I went through certain coaching notes - Of SK Mishra, Mohanty. While Mishra Sir's printed class notes were more related to administration, Mohanty's notes were more theoretical inclined towards thinkers. Apart from that I went through case studies on insightsonindia.com . They were particularly useful.
    ·
  • @ashes Sir, plz share some thoughts about
    1. Ethics - Books u referred, approach in case studies, relevance of studying various thinkers, quotations and anything else that u think should be kept in mind while answering questions in ethics
    2. Essay - selecting an essay, following a structure, giving anecdotes + anything else that u wud reccomend
    ·
  • @sid54 You should go ahead with the idea of two test series. Not only will they help you complete the syllabus, you will also find an improvement in your approach to writing an answer. And since both GS and optionals are important, take equal care of both. All the best.
    ·
  • @anks24 This year from what I gathered Civil Engineering was relatively tougher than the previous years.
    For an answer in engineering some of the key points that I followed were:-
    1. Be precise. Answer the question straightaway
    2. Make relevant diagrams. Like for electrical engineering, I drew diagrams/figures where I could remember them.
    3. Be sure to point out the theorems/principles/laws that you are using in your answer.
    4. If there are certain unconventional symbols you are using, point out their meaning.
    ·
  • @ashes In attempting questions in Ethics Paper, Should we use technical jargon of ethics in our answer or we should put it simple? I have gone through few case studies of classroom programmes on Ethics where most of them have been following a template for answers,which every one is following blindly, how can we make a difference in our answer? Please throw some light on this. Thanks in Advance
    Don't ever let someone tell you that you cant do something
    ·
  • Thanks and congratulations sir for your success. Shall try to improve on my performance.
    ·
  • Look at the gs marks.!?! How?!? Why?
    So high optional marks and interview.
    Congratulations anyways.
    Do u even know what it takes to get a single digit rank in country's toughest competitive exam ?? .. So lame of you to comment like this ... Respect people for their hard work atleast ..
    ·
  • @Call
    1. For ethics I referred to SK Mishra's notes, Mohanty's notes, Lukmaan's Case Studies. However SK Mishra's notes were the one that I found to be the most concise, though not exhaustive
    2. Approach in case studies: Explore out various options available. Exercise your freedom here. The options available include various course of actions that varied people would take. Now out of these different options, choose your option. One which appeals to you. One which you find correct. Back it up with your own reasoning. That reasoning need not be technical stuff.
    3. Certain basic thinkers and their principles is all that you need to know. Like Aristotle, Rawls, Gandhi, Vivekananda etc. Do not overdo the thinkers. Their theories will enrich your thinking. It will give you alternatives to a particular case. Like for a particular case you can go via the utilitarian route/deontological route/ rawls route etc.
    4. Remembering quotations is an art. Some are able to fetch it at will. I am terrible at this. I tried remembering them but could not and eventually gave up. If you are able to dish out relevant quotations then use them.
    5. For selection of an essay, select an essay that you are confident about.
    6. As regards the structure, there are candidates who have a flair for writing. They are effortlessly able to connect paragraphs, start and conclude. If you are one of those, then the style need not be changed. If you are not one of those then following a structure will help. It will help you approach essays. Divya Mittal Ma'am (one of 2012 toppers) on her blog has posted something related to Essay. It is one of the best articles that I have come across on how to approach essays.
    7. Regarding anecdotes: If the anecdotes are real and popular ones , feel free to use them. You can present them as case studies to further the point you are making. However I would not personally recommend using made up anecdotes.
    ·
  • Congrats for your success.. I wanted to clear some doubts .
    1)sectional tests are useful or mock only.
    2)strategy for GS:2 & GS:3
    3)revision more useful or tests.
    ·
  • @ashes thanks a ton Sir! I could not keep my question short, but u still answered it in entirety.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog