Download part 1 of the Economic Survey 2016-17 Vol. 2 summary by ForumIAS : Click here to DOWNLOAD

GS Score (Manoj Jha) - online classes for GS-IV Ethics

Has anyone subscribed to their offline classes in Delhi?

Till last year it was taken by Mishra sir, but seems he has a health problem in account of which Manoj Jha is taking the lectures. Can anyone vouch for the quality?

I'm not in Delhi and am thinking of availing it online. Do you guys think its worth it?
·

Comments

• @amargupta Mishra sir is no more.
    ·
  • @amargupta... Yes I can vouch for Manoj Sir... you can go for them... Have been their student and have joined them once again...

You can view this video of Manoj Sir... This will give you an idea...

·
  • GS score is starting online ethics program from 25th sept - 2nd batch.
    So anyone here who has attended their 1st one (online).
    Please give your valuable feedback about class , notes ,tests etc.
    Thanks and best of luck.....
    ·
  • Yes, I ended up joining the 1st batch whose 2 classes have already taken place. So far so good I can say- still early to judge it in terms of pros and cons.
    ·
  • i m in the first batch...looks decent till now...material is okay as well.
    Down-yes Out-No

कोशिश करने वालों की कभी हार नहीं होती।
    ·
  • Yes I am enrolled in their class cum ethics test series.

1. Test series is good, wrote 1st test today.
    2. Classes are a waste of time. Fault not on part of MK Jha, but no one can teach you ethics. It is just an art of writing and wordplay.
    3. Post test discussions are okay and helpful.
    ·
  • edited September 2015
    Test series is fantastic , but classes are not .manoj jha is genuine man , always available for students help. Sorry to say , not good when it comes to teach although he is a good manager; no boasting, sincere, humble etc , one who knows that what students expect from you.
    Test paper I found, really good . Post discussion was okay .
    Online benefits -risky option , as I favour to suck teachers mind personally until I found my solace.
    Upsc upsc upsc upsc .!! Aur upsc !!
    ·
  • I will say this though- that its a faulty notion to think that no-one can teach ethics or that Manoj Jha isn't as good as some other faculty. He tries his best and we ought not pity him in any manner.

His questions are good and intellectually stimulating if you can discuss it with someone- preferably an elder with developed conscience / experience. His approach towards theory may not be revolutionary- but compliment it with google/wikipedia search and you'd find that atleast he has covered all possible "keywords" in the syllabus from UPSC point of view.
    ·
  • edited September 2015
    I have heard that MK Jha is assiciated with Amnesty International UK and has got extremely busy. Is he not easily available to the students as he earlier use to be?
    ·
  • WHAT IS THE CRITERIA OF MAKING AN IMPRESSION ABOUT SOMEONE??? ANYONE???

Anyway, @rishiy2007, as much as I know, Manoj sir is not so much busy that he doesn't have time for us (his students)... As for the rest you'll have to check it out with the GSScore office only...
    ·
  • @infinite_quest can you please share question paper of first test
    ·
  • "
    Yes I am enrolled in their class cum ethics test series.

2. Classes are a waste of time. Fault not on part of MK Jha, but no one can teach you ethics. It is just an art of writing and wordplay.
    "
    Do you have an idea if they will have another Ethics Test Series Batch ? their online admissions are closed.
    ·
  • Go visit their office, class is only half full in ethics test series. Money talks dear!
    "
    Yes I am enrolled in their class cum ethics test series.

"
    Do you have an idea if they will have another Ethics Test Series Batch ? their online admissions are closed.
    ·
  • @lord please share test copy of first test if possible.

I was student of their pt test series. But now they are not taking admission in first batch as they say only 200 admission they will take in both online and class.
    Reason they told me that manoj sir himself has to check all the copy of ethics and essay.

I am planning to take admission in next batch but want to see the quality of question.

Thanks in advance
    ·
  • I didn't get the checked copy yet, moreover some mods may not like it if I upload it here.

Questions are of standard trust me, only classes I found useless.
    @rohitsharma
    ·
  • Below are few questions from Ethics test 1 of GS Score. Forum IAS does not allow piracy and it will be unethical to share the full question paper. For those who want to know the quality of questions, can go through these -

Q1. What exactly is "the common good", and why has it come to have such a critical place in current discussion of problems in our society? (150 Words) (10 Marks)

Q2. In an era today some have characterized it as "the age of self-interest”, utilitarianism is a powerful reminder that morality calls us to look beyond the self to the good of all. Analyse. (150 Words) (10 Marks)

Q3. Rights imply duties in particular, the duty to respect others' rights. Explain. (150 Words)(10 Marks)

Q4. The manner and purpose of the exercise of the public power affects public confidence in that public office, and that ultimately impinges on public confidence in the constitutional system. Examine. (150 Words) (10 Marks)

Q5. We have no more right to consume happiness without producing it than to consume wealth without producing it. Do you agree? Comment. (150 Words) (10 Marks)
    2015 1st attempt PSIR
    ·
  • is it worth joinin the second batch for classes?
    ·
  • is it worth joinin the second batch for classes?
    +1
    How relevant are the tests and discussions. @amargupta

In the midst of fearful uncertainties, romanticize the countless possibilities...
    ·
  • @AlPacino thanks for sharing questions.

@lord attended case study session. now decided to join second batch. Test series is also included in the 2nd batch.
    ·
  • today i have attended d manoj jha workshop on case study approach . My personal opinion is he just stretching the legacy of sk mishra sir . No clarity on d part of lecture delivery ,only material is good.
    ·
  • today i have attended d manoj jha workshop on case study approach . My personal opinion is he just stretching the legacy of sk mishra sir . No clarity on d part of lecture delivery ,only material is good.
    Can I get the material from the bookshops? How many booklets?
    ·
  • @Kugelschreiber

So far his entire purpose of discussions and lectures is to persuade or rather- to align us to what he thinks (may be Mishra sir's idea too) is the expectation of UPSC specifically in Paper-IV. To be honest, that's something that resonated with me (after seeing his free lectures) but one is free to disagree. Perhaps that is why some people are openly trashing his classroom sessions and its worth because they are not in consonance with his perspective and approach.

So far there's only been one test, which I wrote but yet to receive my evaluated copy. Will share my comments thereafter on his tests. As for discussions- they reinforce his demands from us (on behalf of UPSC) in terms of what most people are writing from their optional perspective (eg- Psychology, Philosophy and PubAd students) as opposed to what is needed. I guess that's pretty much a process for us to realize and align. Few examples are 1) To not proceed with technical mindset (Say whenever Bureaucracy is mentioned, try to avoid indulging in Weber a lot) 2) To make few principled points and "mention" the associated thinkers 3) To think out loud on some concepts so innate to us as "love" so that we become aware of what it really means and finally 4) putting it in question format so that we're forced to write about the most basic things in the most objective way.

In a nutshell, I endorse his idea of bringing objectivity to this paper. My aim is to take this paper very seriously considering the range of marks obtained- and hence opted for a formal guidance/coachign ever (wholly self-studied other subjects so far) to exploit the maximum out of it. Although my main takeaway from his sessions was figuring out the approach to case-studies with administrative role mentioned in it- which is yet to be realized.

However, if one intends to strategically put more time in other areas (say optionals) and aim to get by with average marks in GS-IV; then I don't see any reason why the aspirant will find his classes/tests/discussion so useful as they're not revolutionary. For the record- none of the others are. We're all shooting in the dark as far as Ethics paper is concerned for the past 2 years.
    ·
  • edited September 2015
    Another one is going to start @ Vision from 21 sept
    Any idea about that ???
    ·
  • @Kugelschreiber

So far his entire purpose of discussions and lectures is to persuade or rather- to align us to what he thinks (may be Mishra sir's idea too) is the expectation of UPSC specifically in Paper-IV. To be honest, that's something that resonated with me (after seeing his free lectures) but one is free to disagree. Perhaps that is why some people are openly trashing his classroom sessions and its worth because they are not in consonance with his perspective and approach.

So far there's only been one test, which I wrote but yet to receive my evaluated copy. Will share my comments thereafter on his tests. As for discussions- they reinforce his demands from us (on behalf of UPSC) in terms of what most people are writing from their optional perspective (eg- Psychology, Philosophy and PubAd students) as opposed to what is needed. I guess that's pretty much a process for us to realize and align. Few examples are 1) To not proceed with technical mindset (Say whenever Bureaucracy is mentioned, try to avoid indulging in Weber a lot) 2) To make few principled points and "mention" the associated thinkers 3) To think out loud on some concepts so innate to us as "love" so that we become aware of what it really means and finally 4) putting it in question format so that we're forced to write about the most basic things in the most objective way.

In a nutshell, I endorse his idea of bringing objectivity to this paper. My aim is to take this paper very seriously considering the range of marks obtained- and hence opted for a formal guidance/coachign ever (wholly self-studied other subjects so far) to exploit the maximum out of it. Although my main takeaway from his sessions was figuring out the approach to case-studies with administrative role mentioned in it- which is yet to be realized.

However, if one intends to strategically put more time in other areas (say optionals) and aim to get by with average marks in GS-IV; then I don't see any reason why the aspirant will find his classes/tests/discussion so useful as they're not revolutionary. For the record- none of the others are. We're all shooting in the dark as far as Ethics paper is concerned for the past 2 years.
    Thanks for the detailed analysis. Exactly what I was looking for.
    In the midst of fearful uncertainties, romanticize the countless possibilities...
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
1. Open Session on DAF Filling : What you fill in your Detailed Application form, will decide the marks you get in the Interview, the service that you will get and the state you will live in , for the rest of your life. Last but not the least, it will also decide who you will marry. Don't make mistakes. Join us for an open session on filling up the DAF. We will be assisted by ForumIAS Members who have secured a service or rank in this initiative.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog