Unacademy Plus - Live Classes by India’s Best Educators
Seats going fast for all UPSC CSE courses. Click below for details -
(1) Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude (2) Ancient, Medieval History, Art and Culture (3) Modern Indian History
(4) Current Affairs April 2017 to May 2018 (5) International Relations and Internal Security (6) Geography
Learn from India’s Best Educators. Limited Seats! Register now.

ForumIAS New Batch Announcement 

MGP Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)       PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP + Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)    PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP Batch C (Rapid): (Starts 25th Jan, Ends 19th Apr)              PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 

Strategy for Anthropology

edited May 2013 in Anthropology
Can anyone please guide how to approach Anthropology?

Comments

• @bureaucrat.. Hi i'm also having anthro as my optional.. Here is the list of books i'm following..
    1) physical anthro by p.nath
    2) social anthro by majumdar/madan
    3) history of anthropological thought by upadhyay
    4) indian anthro by nadeem hasnain
    5) essays related to tribes by M.N.Srinivas

if you need to know anything else feel free to ask :-)
  • Thanks for replying...

I am new to the subject.. I had given mains in 2012 with Pol Sc. but I am switching to anthro as I tanked badly last year.
    Are the books mentioned above enough to get a good grasp within 4 months time as I would be relying on self study as I am from Himachal.
    Please share ur inputs and strategy ...
  • edited April 2013
    @bureaucrat.. Even i'm new to this subject. I'm more or less following the strategy followed by dr.vijay and suhas shivanna.. I'm giving links to their blogs.. Go through them..

http://suhas-shivanna.blogspot.in/

http://mrunal.org/2012/06/strategy-anthropology.html
  • could someone share how you attempted these questions in 2012 mains

using the ethnographic examples, highlight the process of religious conversions in tribal India

Using ethnographic examples, point out how gender relations have changed over time among
    Central Indian tribes

Mission 2018 - Final assault
  • @bhaz.. Hi friend, as such i've not written mains and I started preparing for this subject just few days back. Can you please share the strategy you followed to prepare for this subject? :-)
  • edited May 2013

using the ethnographic examples, highlight the process of religious conversions in tribal India

Using ethnographic examples, point out how gender relations have changed over time among
    Central Indian tribes
    Lol those were tough. I had a hard enough time writing about the issues, let alone substantiating them with ethnographic examples. I guess this is something we have to keep in mind while preparing for next year.
    Blog: DailyGyan | AIR 380s in CSE 2013 | Thank you ForumIAS!
  • people with anthro optional, please share your marks to get an idea of how marking has been this year

here is mine

MAIN SUBJECTS

ESSAY (PAPER-III)
    GENRAL STUDIES (PAPER-IV)
    GENRAL STUDIES (PAPER-V)
    OPTIONAL-I(PUBLIC ADMIN.) (PAPER-VI)
    OPTIONAL-I(PUBLIC ADMIN.) (PAPER-VII)
    OPTIONAL-II(ANTHROPOLOGY) (PAPER-VIII)
    OPTIONAL-II(ANTHROPOLOGY) (PAPER-IX)
    WRITTEN TOTAL
  • ESSAY (PAPER-III) 105
    GENRAL STUDIES (PAPER-IV) 098
    GENRAL STUDIES (PAPER-V) 113
    OPTIONAL-I(PUBLIC ADMIN.) (PAPER-VI) 51
    OPTIONAL-I(PUBLIC ADMIN.) (PAPER-VII) 115
    OPTIONAL-II(ANTHROPOLOGY) (PAPER-VIII) 71
    OPTIONAL-II(ANTHROPOLOGY) (PAPER-IX) 115
    WRITTEN TOTAL 668
  • Looks like Anthro paper 1 scores are low across the board, and paper 2 scores are decent (contrary to its difficulty this year).
  • how many of you are sticking with anthro? also any idea about range of scores in anthro for mains 2012?
  • anthro scores
    P1 73
    P2 143

Paper 1 scores are very low this yr.
  • is there a ebook of ember and ember?
  • here are some online sources for anthropology

for anthropological thought [braintree notes copied from this] http://anthropology.ua.edu/
    for physical anthropology: http://anthro.palomar.edu/tutorials/
    http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/
    Misc topics: http://anthropologyguide.blogspot.in/

please share online sources for indian and tribal anthropology
  • it seems anthro is not that scoring, it need depth study........ m from engineering feild, can i opt this subject?
  • how is preparation going on? joining any test series? is there any good online source for diagrams, flowcharts?

my fellow anthropologists please reply !
  • edited May 2013
    how is preparation going on? joining any test series? is there any good online source for diagrams, flowcharts?

my fellow anthropologists please reply !
    PT qualify karne ki position me nahi ho test series ki bat puch rahe ho =)) =)) =))

[Moderator note: Provocative]
  • I had 47 +95=142 for Anthro...what are the good test series options available?
  • I had 47 +95=142 for Anthro...what are the good test series options available?
    if you are at hyderabad, you can go for targetias. it is best among the worst.
    there are delays in correction , but tests are conducted on time
  • People with anthropology and appearing for mains in 2013 may join this google group

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB&fromgroups#!forum/anthro2013
  • @bhaz .i hd send u a request..

do u live in delhi? or else....

do u know any good test series in delhi?
    FAILED pre2012, pre2013 "making too many mistakes, learning too little things..dying too little slowly, fighting too slow to win"
  • Hi guys
    I've taken Anthro as the subject for mains.
    I need some guidance regarding the syllabus and strategy, following braintree notes.
    Anybody in delhi?

https://www.facebook.com/jaideep.ydse?ref=tn_tnmn

Thanks
  • @jai_mib From where did u get brain tree notes.... m in delhi .....
    r they old xeroxed one?....or u buy directly from them...?
    how are they?
    any coaching?
    FAILED pre2012, pre2013 "making too many mistakes, learning too little things..dying too little slowly, fighting too slow to win"
  • The notes are hard to understand so you need to follow the book as well, more of book i would say.
    Send me a friend req. on FB, Maybe we can help each other in prep for mains.
    No coaching
  • My marks
    76 & 122

What was the maximum score in 2012?
  • i am engg graduate, do not have biology background. is this optional scoring please share your mains marks. many people adviced me that there are repeated questions & moreover few dynamic and open ended q are asked.

please do share ur views and your mains marks
  • @kzz674 before choosing an optional go through the syllabus properly , take your time ..do some background work on it. Then ask yourself if you find it interesting or does it appeal to you for a full fledged study. Because if you choose an optional just for the scores , it may not be in your favour all the time.

Anthropology does have a past record of fetching descent marks contrary to this year. This doesnot mean the same thing is to be repeated all time.

It's a good optional. So, is every other optional in my opinion. Yes, questions are repeated many a times.

There are some socio parts in the syllabus which overlaps with the new GS syllabus. So, it can be useful for GS also.

Now coming to the biology part of your query, what you need to do is read some basic bio books or you can also go through B M DAS ..it's a small and concise book for physical anthro. Go through the question paper of previous years and that will give you a more clear view of what you are going to deal with.
  • @sd15 thank you very much. since you know about this optional please tell me is it lengthy like Geography or not
  • @kzz674 Syllabus of Anthropology is not as lengthy as that of Geography. In fact second paper is quite short, and many topics overlap with GS syllabus e.g. Indian Society, Diversity, Tribal issues etc. as @sd15 said. Once you are comfortable with Biology part rest of the syllabus is not that difficult but then again, it depends upon individual interests and liking :)
  • @Benjamin_Gates thanks. are you aware of any good coaching for anthro. as very few people take this i am not getting information about it.
    How much time does it take to complete anthro course (self VS coaching)
    please share your strategy and book list (because it would be very helpful to plan mine)
    I noticed in previous year papers dynamic/current affairs part was low. is it due to less anthropological research in our country or something else. share your opinion on it.
    one last question--somewhere i found that in (2012) the scores were not good in comparison to previous years (2009, 10, 11). is UPSC also playing with this optional just like pub ad & Geography.

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog