MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 30th OCT(Evening) 5:15 PM - 7:15 PM & 15th Nov. (Morning) 11:00 AM-1:00 PM ;
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal (Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar (Rank-200, 2016)

45 Days Preparation plan[Prelims 2013]

edited April 2013 in Miscellaneous
Hi Guys,

As there are only 45 Days more for the 2013 Prelims , :-SS Can someone help me to make a plan for the few days left. As reading the whole book for the subjects is not possible now, It would be much appreciated if someone can tell me what are the topics that needs to be covered or read for Prelims and in case anyone has some question paper series then we can all share it. :)

Comments

• @amber : Let us know how comfortable you are with paper 1 and paper 2. What are the topics you have covered so far? Only then a suggestion can be made as the syllabus is huge.. BTW I will be compiling important topics for two of my friends in IT companies who had applied with no preparation. ;). If I am able to make it I will certainly share the details here.
  • edited April 2013
    @Amber As @alagiri already pointed out, If you let us know your current standing, suggestions wouldbe more specific and thereby more helpful. I would still try and suggest what I can, though a lot of what I would say has already been mentioned in several threads.

W.r.t Paper-1 -> Focus on core / static areas. The scope for going wrong is much less with lesser Level-of-Effort and higher RoI. And to determine what are the core/static areas, please refer previous-year questions

For Paper-2 -> Practice is the ONLY key. With 45 days *still* to go, keep practicing. Lol. That reminded me of Farah Khans advertisement :O

And about the question-paper series, are you referring to Previous-year papers or Mock-questions ? Previous-year papers are at UPSCs site. And Mock-papers by CL and V&R have already been shared in the ForumIAS. Please look-up the relevant links.

I hope this helps!
  • Hi @Alagiri and @fallen_leaves

I have so far done

1)NCERT and Spectrum for History
    2)NCERT Geography 11th and 12th and the geography book by goh cheng leong
    3)Economics ( I have only done macro economices from NCERT book :-SS )
    4)Polity from Lakshmi Kant
    5) Currently doing Environment from Barucha
    6)S & T I have just read the topics from Mrunal's site once

As I work as a Software Engineer I am having lots of time constraints. I am really worried now ~X(

Please do help me

And the question paper series I was referring to the mock test papers that I can use to practice... Please tell me how to go about... Waiting desperately for the response [-O<
  • @amber you have done a great job having covered the static part very well=D>. I didnt go through all the books you have mentioned(last year I didnt attend even 1 question from polity even though they are direct) but still managed to clear the prelims twice because of current affairs and paper 2. Never worry about not attending a question if you are not sure because the probability of people knowing the answer for that question is very less and that is the specialty of CSE .

Only CA is left for paper 1 and if you were following newspapers for the past 6 months that is more than enough. The key to clear prelims now is paper 2. Since you are working as a Software engineer I assume you should be good with aptitude (RS Aggarwal is more than enough) and english comprehension. Paper 2 is a bit exhaustive, but any tom, dick or harry with a descent english knowledge can answer all the questions. what it takes to complete is speed especially in comprehension.

Never worry about the outcome till the results. Give your best.

by the way I assume what worries you more is the hype about the exam and volumes and volumes of text about cracking the exam circulating in the web .

Please take a look at this http://aspirecivilservices.blogspot.in/2012/03/indian-civil-services-myth-now-you-are.html

• Just grab last two years CSAT paper and try to solve it in the stipulated time. If you are able to complete it in time I am sure you need need not worry about paper 2.
  • @amber you have done a great job having covered the static part very well=D>. I didnt go through all the books you have mentioned(last year I didnt attend even 1 question from polity even though they are direct) but still managed to clear the prelims twice because of current affairs and paper 2. Never worry about not attending a question if you are not sure because the probability of people knowing the answer for that question is very less and that is the specialty of CSE .

Only CA is left for paper 1 and if you were following newspapers for the past 6 months that is more than enough. The key to clear prelims now is paper 2. Since you are working as a Software engineer I assume you should be good with aptitude (RS Aggarwal is more than enough) and english comprehension. Paper 2 is a bit exhaustive, but any tom, dick or harry with a descent english knowledge can answer all the questions. what it takes to complete is speed especially in comprehension.

Never worry about the outcome till the results. Give your best.

by the way I assume what worries you more is the hype about the exam and volumes and volumes of text about cracking the exam circulating in the web .

Please take a look at this http://aspirecivilservices.blogspot.in/2012/03/indian-civil-services-myth-now-you-are.html

Hi @Alagiri ,

I was not able to make time for CA :( . Also when I think of some questions I panic as I will not be able to immediately remember the answers.

Also can you help me with which topics to concentrate from the RS AGGARWAL book.

Thanks
  • CSAT CL EXAM 8 enjoy @fallen_leaves @vijay_45 @alexiaaicha @ArindamSarkar @Partho @others
    Thank you!

Credit - Mango dolly?
  • Who is Mango Dolly? ~X(
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • Who is Mango Dolly? ~X(
    This forum was graced once by his presence.

http://forumias.com/discussion/comment/13443#Comment_13443
  • @Partho no dude not mango dolly. its by some "value of descent"
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
  • @Woodpecker
    Its the same guy.
    CSE 2013 - AIR 83
    "Mere jajbaaton se iss kadar vakif hai kalam meri, Main ishq bhi likhna chahoon to inqlaab likha jata hai" - Shaheed-e-Azam Bhagat Singh
  • edited April 2013
    Hey guys,

Was just told about the site ********* by a friend. They offer test series' for different exams(including CSAT) but if you register yourself you can avail some free tests. There is currently one test of CSAT Paper 2 available for free. You will be given an All India percentile and a detailed analysis after completion of the test. There is another CSAT Paper 2 test coming up on Saturday at 5 pm (FREE!).Likewise there's a free test available for SBI PO Exam also.

[Link Removed][Marked Spam]
  • thanks @Dilip ... and thank your friend on behalf of myself and the whole forumias fraternity.. i will surely be giving this test.. im very scared of csat.. actually my english blows big time and i start panicking when i encounter qs i cant solve..
    [ CSE-2013 ]
  • @moderators : The link provided is not spam!! I've just attempted one of the free tests available on the site and they actually provide you a detailed analysis with your percentile. And if you have a look at any of my previous posts you would know that i don't "SPAM".This is quite ridiculous!
  • @root @Neyawn @Partho I'm posting the link again and Please do not mark it as spam again. This could be useful to a lot of people here. Like i said i already registered myself and have already answered the free test of SBI PO. You can delete my account from the forum if it turns out to be SPAM!

http://testfunda.com/Events/TestFundaEventRegistrationPage.aspx?iEventID=204
  • moderators : i totally agree with dilip.. infact i would go to the extent of saying that he displays a rare touch of revolutionary idealism that is highly wanting in our administrators as well as aspirants.. hez the hero india deserves- but (perhaps) not the one it needs at the moment..
    [ CSE-2013 ]
  • moderators : i totally agree with dilip.. infact i would go to the extent of saying that he displays a rare touch of revolutionary idealism that is highly wanting in our administrators as well as aspirants.. hez the hero india deserves- but (perhaps) not the one it needs at the moment..
    :-??
  • @Dilip thanks man. =D> :\">

IT'S NOT A SPAM
    don't worry dude no1 z gonna delete your account... :-*
  • edited April 2013
    @Woodpecker Was never worried about that.But was just making my case stronger :P
  • @Woodpecker Was never worried about that.But was just making my case stronger :P
    haha. well played :D
    can you suggest some site or have any resource for RC practice. today i got 9/37 ans wrong in that cl paper. one thing though cl's standard is quite high as compared to upsc paper2. still more we practice better we will be.
    where can we get the passages along with solutions.
  • edited April 2013
    Hey @Woodpecker This should help. Downloaded it from Mrunal. But no detailed solutions if thats what ur looking for. Just answers
    pdf
    pdf
    35 RC Passages with Answers.pdf
    1M
  • Thankyou woody... :) :P
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • edited April 2013
    @amber For Paper-1, I guess you are pretty much done with the static part. For the CA portion you may want to refer one of those V&R books (which give you a jist of CA for a given period) or one of the magazines. For Paper-2 @alagiri has already given you some good suggestions, follow those and keep practicing.
  • @fallen_leaves

Thank You.

@all

Can you please tell me for paper 2 which chapters need to be done from RS Aggarwal???

Thank You
  • friends hardly there are 40 days left.plz tell me how to prepare for paper 2 and i am one who is bit weak at maths..list out the imp chapters for quants and reasoning and way to tackle English especially inferences and other than RC also plzz..guy share ur taught s and opinions .i want a detailed plan with all the imp minute details.here many saying that they can get 150 very easily so tell me how i can get some 130-150 score within this short time
  • testfunda is a good (MBA) site. I enrolled for CAT last year. But Cant comment regarding UPSC (as they are new in this field). But for CAT (Test series+ Correspondence) it is one of the best.
  • @Neyawn @Partho Hi friends, This is my first attempt,I am not doing any coaching and I am not based in Delhi. I have completed static parts of the Prelims syllabus, I think I am good in Paper-2, I am nervous about current affairs though, I had started preparations( serious) only from mid -november, So could not do PIB/Hindu seriously. Now since only 40 days are left. what can i do about current affairs? I have the CST magazine from january 2012 till this month, Please suggest the time window( from when to when will suffice) and the source (Any webpage will also do). Thank you in advance!
  • @sauraviiser You may not worry too much bout Current Affairs. Have you done the basic subjects - Modern History+ Polity+ Geography+Environment?

I am sure you must have checked out the List of Essential Books for Prelims in the announcement?
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • @Neyawn Thanx for the reply, I have seen the list of essential books for prelims, and as they say, one can never say for sure,whether he/she has completed anything..So a little bit anxious. My previous exams have always thrown surprises in more share of questions which i did not cover! :(( So dont want to leave anything to chance ( agree not much time is left for current affairs, But a time window and source could really help me). Since you are one of the seniors, I could use your advice.
  • edited April 2013
    @vijay_45 abhi fallen_leaves Woodpecker Partho Neyawn i did 2012 paper i got around 94 marks after all the negatives and i just counted for 80bits i didnt adjust that to 200 marks rounded figure ..i think i can get around 110 marks if we adjust that score and +6 to 8 marks in difference in various keys.so now my questions was what chapters to be practiced in quants for know becoz in 2011 paper they have more bits and less bits in 2012 .so know tel what chapters to prepare quants keeping in the mind 2011 and 2012 papers .because we dnot have any data interpetion sums in 2012 .please clealy tell me abou the quants and reasoning(i m bit ok in reasoning ).what i found is i can get nearly 110 marks now the real challenge is to make that some 130+ marks.so how can i get them .please guys help me out from this .....
This discussion has been closed.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog