MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS
MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batch of WESTERN Philosophy starting on 30th Nov. (EVENING) 05:00 PM-7:15 PM.
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal (Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar (Rank-200, 2016)

Sociology 2015 Test Series Review

Comments

• @Jithusjn005
    Less than One month coz I got caught into prelims fever...n almost zero for optionals
    8->
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"
  • @rumbler488
    I cannot thank you enough..
    Anyway I don't expect to have like 100% knowledge.
    Aur sirf 5 hi karne hote hain 8 me. Unka bhi fayda hona chahiye.. They only saved me from embarrassment last time
    Ahista chal ae jindagi abhi, kai karz chukana baki hai.
  • @CAESAR, yes he does it by himself
  • @Jithusjn005
    Less than One month coz I got caught into prelims fever...n almost zero for optionals
    8->
    Wow in one month ^:)^ :)>- it's good in dat small time
    Jimm
  • edited September 2015
    @Jithusjn005
    That's the only positive I can take from last years mains
    But this year is totally a new ball game
    Let's hope for the best
    \m/
  • Can I have your views on this one. @MD47 @neha13 @rumbler488 @Rank7 @Haider @CAESAR

"Education is often viewed as an agency of social change. However in reality it could also reinforce inequalities and conservatism". Discuss.

My contention is to think of some favourable points for education as an agent of social change. There are plenty against.

You can also subscribe my channel/page "Sleepy Classes" on youtube. All the best :)
  • Can I have your views on this one. @MD47 @neha13 @rumbler488 @Rank7 @Haider @CAESAR

"Education is often viewed as an agency of social change. However in reality it could also reinforce inequalities and conservatism". Discuss.

My contention is to think of some favourable points for education as an agent of social change. There are plenty against.
    I think I posted it in the wrong thread.

You can also subscribe my channel/page "Sleepy Classes" on youtube. All the best :)
  • @Jithusjn005
    That's the only positive I can take from last years mains
    But this year is totally a new ball game
    Let's hope for the best
    \m/
    Rock it \m/ \m/ \m/ :)>-
    Jimm

Hey @Shkk :
    Here are the points in favor of education as a tool for social change

1) Acts as a source of enlightenment: Apart from teaching what to think, education also teaches individuals how to think. Moreover, it exposes us to new ideas and theories that often act as important source for encouraging social change. This includes furthering the process of secularization of society, highlighting values of social justice etc.
    eg. The freedom struggle of India got a new face when our freedom fighters got exposed to western ideas of democracy, equality etc. through the medium of english education

2) Leads to attitudinal changes and minimizes cultural lag: Education increased the awareness about rights and duties of people, helps people understand the plight of the marginalized and also addresses any irrational superstitions. This leads to attitudinal changes in people and often helps minimize the cultural lag that occurs owing to mismatch between material and non-material aspects.
    eg. The school education system of India teaches us about notions of gender equality and the plight of poor, the minorities and those of the lower castes. This has lead to a number of social movements and prepared an army of voluntary social workers willing to act for the upliftment of the poor. Apart from this, it is education that has been responsible for removing any misconceptions among the tribal w.r.t vaccinations and medical procedures.

3) Allows avenues for social and economic mobility: Education empowers individuals to gain skills whereby they can move towards achivement based occupations. This changes the order of social stratification in the society.
    eg. Skill development programs have enabled people from lower castes to move from ascription based occupations to achievement based occupations ranging from BPO employees to self made entrepreneurs.

4) Leads to changes at political level: Education helps provide a society with educated leaders and an aware population. This leads to internalization of rationality in political structure of a country.
    eg. Lipset(1960) highlighted how higher one's education, more likely he is to support democratic values

5) Leads to structural changes: The occupational mobility provided by the medium of education leads to structural changes in society. eg. On account of women education, we now see that Indian society is characterized by dual-career families,educational empowerment of women have led to increased age in marriages, better care of children and adoption of family planning measures which are changing the demographic profile of society.

This is what I have. Kindly let me know what you think about it and also add points to.
    ps: I don't mind negative analysis. Better to be humbled here then humiliated by the mains examiners :P

Only worthwhile lesson from toppers -> Mains में इतने अंक लाओ कि साक्षात्कार redundant हो जाए
  • Hi @rumbler488 -
    Great points and well put too.
    I'll note these down for future reference.
    Thanks again.

• @Shkk
    In addition to the above points

6)Completes the socialization process

7)Transmits cultural heritage

8)Serves as a major mechanism for role allocation

9)Fosters participative democracy
  • @Jithusjn005
    You too bro
    >:D<
  • @Shkk
    In addition to the above points

6)Completes the socialization process and development of personality

7)determination of social status in modern societies

8)promoter of innovation

9)Fosters participative democracy
  • Sorry for the earlier post...I misread it as social functions of education

• Anyone from Upendra sir's batch who joined Parveen sir's test series? Anyone.

going to join test series

• @Jithusjn005
    You too bro
    >:D<
    >:D< >:D<
    Jimm

going to join test series

Upcoming batch of 20th?
  • Sorry for the earlier post...I misread it as social functions of education
  • Hii...can v join pandey sir's test series now??...n hw much does he charge??....howz u r experience so far??
  • guys how is praveen kishore,s printed material.? planning to buy 8-|
  • Hi all..
    I have a query regarding vibhash sharma socio classes starting from tmrw..
    Currently I m residing at ber sarai..and I will have to shift to mukherjee nagar for joining classroom sessions..
    Is it really worth it or I shud get his video recordings..which optsion is better..I m already writting gs test series of vision from home..so shifting to mn jus for classroom..please advise..
  • Hey @rumbler488 @MD47 @itachi @Shkk
    In Religion topic there is a subtopic
    Types of religious practices : animism, monism, pluralism, sects, cults
    Till now I was thinking animism in terms of totemism of ED. But now I think it may only be a sub part. What are the others, if any? Monism, I am not able to find anywhere except the Wikipedia. And when it says pluralism does it mean churches and denominations?? Please help. Also recommend any source material.
    Thanks
  • Hey @rumbler488 @MD47 @itachi @Shkk
    In Religion topic there is a subtopic
    Types of religious practices : animism, monism, pluralism, sects, cults
    Till now I was thinking animism in terms of totemism of ED. But now I think it may only be a sub part. What are the others, if any? Monism, I am not able to find anywhere except the Wikipedia. And when it says pluralism does it mean churches and denominations?? Please help. Also recommend any source material.
    Thanks
    Animism is a theory given by Edward Tyler, it is slightly different from ED's characterization of totem
    - Essentially it says that the primitive people rationalized their daily experiences with death, disease and vagaries of season by attributing it to a supernatural force or 'soul' which was then projected into an inanimate object; this eventually became God in some religions.
    - Criticism of this theory includes over simplification and the fact that primitive people had other things to do rather than worry about their daily experiences.
    - In modern societies, idol worship and cow worship can be seen as a form of animism.

Extremely limited info on monism and pluralism except the basic idea got through wiki. It was ignored in my coaching class.
    Monism says that creator and creation are one. eg. Advaita philosophy by Adi shankarachaya;
    Pluralism says that this is not the case. There are multiple truths w.r.t creator and creation. No clue about example. Someone else should be able to better guide here.

Sects and cults done through Blue Haralambos.

Only worthwhile lesson from toppers -> Mains में इतने अंक लाओ कि साक्षात्कार redundant हो जाए
  • Thanks @rumbler488
    Did you read animism from your coaching notes? My coaching also totally ignored the three..
  • Yup..It was ignored in the actual class, but they had given supporting booklets. I picked it from there.

• questions from previous qpapers need clarification in social change

"Critically examine the cultural theories of social change with examples "

i know only cultural factors...but what on earth is cultural theories X(
    Cmon...i aint gonna bite you
  • @Haider
    Animism is given in harlambos(orange)

Monism-
    Philosophically monism can be of four types
    1)materialism(Hobbes)
    2)idealism(Hegel)
    3)neutral monism(Bertrand russels)
    4)anomalous monism

Pluralism-

Philosophically it means opposite to Monism

Culturally, it is a belief that people of diff social classes,religion ,races etc should be able to coexist together in a society

Religious pluralism per se deals with sects,denominations etc indirectly, scholars like P.berger n B Wilson see it as a sign of secularization

Religious pluralism wrt to india can be explained as a keynote of Indian culture which gives rise to Indian concept of secularism

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog