[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

Suggestion Needed for Essay Test Series

edited August 2015 in Essay
Please suggest an Essay Test Series with good feedback approach.
·

Comments

• +1
    Please suggest anyone BUT Ramaswamy
    ·
  • Vision is good but u won't get personal feedback only suggestions on ur checked answer script
    2014-1st attempt,mains--pol science
    ·
  • edited August 2015
    @hummingbird : It's almost a year, i am writing GS Test at Vision regularly and now at a stage where i don;t find anything new in their feedback which would helps me in improving my skills thus i doubt joining a Essay Test Series at vision would be much of value addition to me. Could you suggest anything apart from vision and synergy?
    ·
  • edited August 2015
    Guys how's the GS Score (or IAS Score) Test Series on Essay?
    http://www.iasscore.in/essay-test-series.php
    ·
  • kishi ko kuch idea hai kya regarding essay test series ?
    ·
  • vajiram usually starts an essay module post prelims. taken by Shabbir sir. what happened to that? not happening this year?
    ·
  • ramesh singh bhi kuch karata hai essay pe..
    One of the greatest mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results
    ·
  • +1
    Please suggest anyone BUT Ramaswamy
    For Essay, you primarily need "practising essay writing". But yes, you will need someone who has some experience with respect to Essay. Because Essay paper evaluation has very high variation in terms of score.

Coming to Ramaswamy, he is merely a strict and cynical teacher . But he knows upsc strategy well - at least the basics ( I took classes from him in the past )

The bad part is that if you don't like him ( or if you get late by even 5 minutes to his class - which is quite possible ), he will throw you out and all that. So that becomes a big headache if you have signed up for his 7AM class.

Apart from Ramaswamy, your options would be Vajiram & GS Score. Vajiram will give you some material, which you will find in the market. Earlier Abhilash, a great Essay guy was there, but he is no more teaches at Vajiram. And crowd there is so much that you won't be able to get your copy evaluated on time or even at all.

GS Score has a good module because it is designed like a test series, but the key is - actually going and attending every single class and test and getting it evaluated. If you do it for even 5-6 essays, and get it evaluated by the faculty there , and follow what they say essay will not be a big headache, assuming that you are aiming to score 50%+ in the Essay Paper.

*No good deed goes unpunished*
    ·
  • vision or gsscore for essay test series....any feedback...i am getting confused...can afford only one of them
    Our survival instinct is our single greatest source of inspiration. - Dr. Mann
    ·
  • edited August 2015
    @Mahinder Meena
    Can u elaborate on negatives n positives of Visions essay test series?
    Thanks
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"
    ·
  • edited August 2015
    @MD47 : Can't comment with regard to vision essay test series. I have enrolled only for vision GS test series and writing test regularly since last 1 year, so i feel joining an essay test series at vision would not be much of value addition to me. Though i am quit satisfied with their GS Test series program.

For essay i am planning to join GS Score because their program is more focused on practicing whereas others are more oriented toward classes and less practice
    ·
  • I'm also getting inclined towards GS Score Essay program...wl go there tomorrow
    ·
  • vision or gsscore for essay test series....any feedback...i am getting confused...can afford only one of them
    vision is good I have attempt two essay so far got 110 and 116.though feedback is not of much use but it will give u necessary ans writing practice
    2014-1st attempt,mains--pol science
    ·

You can join any. Doesnt really matter. What. Matters is that you write tests.

GS Score advantage over Vision is that it is a lean organization, papers will be checked timely and personal guidance will be available.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
    ·
  • I'm also getting inclined towards GS Score Essay program...wl go there tomorrow
    plz give feedback after your visit. Thanx in advance.
    ·

You can join any. Doesnt really matter. What. Matters is that you write tests.

GS Score advantage over Vision is that it is a lean organization, papers will be checked timely and personal guidance will be available.
    bro what abt the online classes...do they give timely feed back to online students?

Down-yes Out-No

कोशिश करने वालों की कभी हार नहीं होती।
    ·
  • edited August 2015
    ·
  • edited August 2015
    I mailed GS score for queries regarding - test and discussion duration, skipping schedule test and discussion, and evaluation.

This is what they have replied (Copy - Past)

Dear Mahinder,

A. Mahinder sectional test will be of 1:30 hrs. Discussion will be after the test.
    B. Flexible time is for those who miss the test and want to write the test. It is applicable for both online and classroom students. If you miss any session you can access it's video.
    C. Evaluation will be done after test. You don't need to present at the time of evaluation. Once you will get the copy you can discuss about your copy with faculty.

For any query call 9953595114.
    ·
  • @mahendra , what is their procedure for online programme?
    ·
  • @Hero_saa : an online account on GS forum website will be created on your name where you can access -

a. essay tests, upload essay answer script for evaluation and check the evaluated answer script

b. all discussion/workshop video (of 3 hours that you have to complete within 6 hours once you the clicked start button and in case of any technical fault you can mail them to restore the video but it's not downloadable)

b. reference material (if e-copy is not made available than they will courier to you)

Also even if you miss any test (mostly scheduled on Saturdays) than can take the test later on any day as per your suitability and watch the video once you complete the test.
    ·
  • Could someone chalk out a broad strategy to write a good (read mark fetching) essay? ;)

What's the importance of quotes and from where to gather them? Can we also use anecdotes? I remember that someone successful from last year used them as shown in an answer script at Insights.

What else should/ should not be there!

Any help would be much appreciated since I feel pretty clueless to write 1000+ words about anything.

Gunning for glory!
    ·
  • Could someone chalk out a broad strategy to write a good (read mark fetching) essay? ;)

What's the importance of quotes and from where to gather them? Can we also use anecdotes? I remember that someone successful from last year used them as shown in an answer script at Insights.

What else should/ should not be there!

Any help would be much appreciated since I feel pretty clueless to write 1000+ words about anything.

You can start by jotting down your thoughts on issues and topics of relevance. And it's all about having an error free language,clear thoughts and valid points. 1000 words will not seem to be too much if the topic is familiar. Organize your thoughts and topics into paragraphs.

I cannot comment regarding anecdotes and quotes because I don't think they can be gathered now. Suppose I read a book and also like it. I will obviously remember good quotes from it. So maybe widening the reading base can be of help here which doesn't seem to be possible given the time crunch.

I should add here that 2015 Prelims was my first attempt. So I have no clue about what the UPSC wants. But I keep writing a lot of articles,essays,stories etc. All I can tell you is that writing practice and having a strong foundation regarding facts and issues of importance will definitely help you.

All the best
    :)>-
    A great book is a friend that never lets you down. You can return to it again and again and the joy first derived from it will still be there.
    ·
  • Some of the components of good essay (though not absolute components ) -
    a. engagement of reader
    b. simplistic language which is easy to understand
    c. good content (not specialized/technical) which suffices the topic from multiple views (if not all views)
    d. follow the standard format - like one you read in Hindu editorials. (no points forms, no diagrams, each idea different paragraph, linking the story from one paragraph to other, starting the paragraph with main idea, ending the conclusion based on the argument explained in paragraphs)
    e. avoid striking, spelling and grammatical errors

Search more on google, you will find very good article on easy writing.

About writing 1000 words. First of all there is no hard and fast rule to write 1000+ words, if you can write very well expressing all your view in 800 words i think there is no need to worry, even who want to read more. But what actually happens with me is that i am unable to express my views or suffices the topic in 800 words. So what i would suggest is, start practicing essay writing and give a 20-30 minute thought to make your points and structuring.
    ·
  • There is a another very good teacher for essay - Anand Vardhan - earlier he was associated with Pragati IAS - now he has started his own classes by the name of Bhupendra's classes.

His writing is superb. He has been a writer at websites like newslaundry.com and thehoot.com. Also he has very vast knowledge about many subjects. He is one of those who excel at their work and do not compromise quality for anything. One can learn many things even beyond just essay from his explanations of the topics.

I am saying this because I took classes from him for essay. He was extremely helpful - came to our room every Sunday and gave immense personal attention. Earlier he did this for many students without money, later due to financial problems he started taking fees.

Only thing is he takes time to explain. So one has to have patience with him.
    ·
  • Hii guys...can any one pls suggest me on which institute to join for essay....Manon.k.jha or shabbir sir....or any other better option..
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog