Hello Forum Members -
I am sharing Important committees from my notes that were formed in 2012 - 13 or were in news sometime in 2012 - 13. You can add committees that have been left out with a very brief description.
- One can also give a brief account of the committees that have already been listed ( As my notes are not very comprehensive :P ). For the larger benefit of forum members.
1) YOGENDRA GARG COMMITTEE
o It’ll draft the model GST legislation.
o the Committee will be monitored by Central board of Excise and Customs.
2) SHILABHADRA BANERJEE COMMITTEE
o FICN – FAKE INDIAN CURRENCY NOTE
o To increase the security features for currency notes.
o To prepare a roadmap for progressive indigenization of various inputs.
o Create a “Directorate of Currency” under Finance Ministry to coordinate & oversee acquisition and R&D efforts of security features for currency notes and other security products.
o Under this Directorate of Currency, set up a National level research and Development unit for raw material, security features and currency printing machinery.
3) SHYAMAL SEN COMMITTEE
o Gorkhaland Territorial Administration.
4) BAJPAI COMMITTEE
o Set up by PFRDA to go into the reasons for the slow progress of NPS in the private sector.
5) THORAT COMMITTEE
o NCERT Text book Cartoon row.
6) RANGANATH MISHRA COMMISSION 2007
o Recommended that official discrimination against Christian and Muslim dalits be ended by restoring to them, without delay their SC status.
o No action taken till now.
7) NARESH CHANDRA COMMITTEE
o On defense reforms.
8) YASHPAL COMMITTEE
o Constitutional body of NCHER, Higher Education & Research Bill. Not considered.
9) RAGHAVAN COMMITTEE
o need of conducting democratic elections to the students’ unions in colleges. The report also underlines the need to implement the Lyngdoh committee report.
10) K C CHAKRABARTY COMMITTEE 2009 - RRBs.
11) PARTHASARTHY SHOME COMMITEE
GAAR The expert committee on General Anti Avoidance Rules - GAAR - has recommended postponement of the controversial tax provision by three years. It has also called for abolition of capital gains tax on transfer of securities.
To re-assure global investors, the Committee in its draft report, suggested that GAAR provisions should not be invoked to examine the genuineness of the residency of entities in Mauritius.
The Committee, headed by Parthasarathi Shome, has recommended that GARR be applicable only if the monetary threshold of tax benefit is 3 crore rupees and more.
12) RANGACHARY COMMITTEE - TAX ISSUES IN DEVELOPMENT CENTERS AND IT SECTORS.
many MNCs carried out activities such as product development, analytical work and software development through captive entities in India and existed in a wide range of fields, including IT software and hardware, and research and development (R&D) in sectors such as pharmaceuticals, automobiles and other scientific areas which were popularly called Development Centres. Over 750 MNCs have such centres at over 1,100 locations in the country.
13) AP SHAH COMMITTEE - KKNPP. & Privacy
14) INFOSYS’ KRIS GOPALAKRISHNAN
was appointed to head the NATIONAL CLOUD COMPUTING PANEL to connect state data centres (SDC) through a national cloud network, as part of the National eGovernance Plan, which would provide government business services to the citizens via the Internet. There are SDCs in 16 states presently
15) Expert Group under the Chairmanship of DR. C. RANGARAJAN
“Review the Methodology for Measurement of Poverty”.
16) Bank employee agitation to protest unilateral implementation of KHANDELWAL COMMITTEE REPORT on human resource management in public sector banks and government's policies against liberalization and privatization.
17) The Centre has set up a 21-member committee to suggest ways for reforming regulatory environment for doing business in India. The panel, headed by former SEBI Chairman M DAMODARAN, will prepare a detailed report within six months and submit the same to the Government
18) Expert Committee to examine how Panchayats could be leveraged for more efficient delivery of public goods and services under the Chairmanship of SHRI MANI SHANKAR AIYAR
19) The JUSTICE M.B. SHAH COMMISSION, which went into illegal mining of iron ore and manganese in Goa, suggested that leases be granted through public auction to reduce corruption.
20) In India, in 2010 the Planning Commission instituted a High Level Expert Group (HLEG) led by DR. SRINATH REDDY. The report of this group, which sketched a basic framework for UHC in India, was submitted to the Planning Commission in late 2011.
21) Task Force headed by Nandan Nilekani on cash transfer of subsidy on kerosene, LPG and fertilizer.
22) Committee on Public Procurement headed by former bureaucrat Vinod Dhall
23) Kelkar Committee on fiscal consolidation
24) Prime Minister had set up a committee under the chairmanship of Dr. C. Rangarajan, Chairman, Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister to look into all the issues relating to the deregulation of the sugar sector.
25) Hashim committee – Identification of Urban Poor.