How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
27 JULY | 200+ Issues for Mains 2018 ForumIAS is conducting classes for Current Affairs Mains. Cover upto 200+ Issues important for Mains , with specific focus on holistic coverage and content differentiation. Attend the first session ( Open to All ) at 11AM, on Friday July 27 at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.
CLICK HERE to read more and register for the First Open Class

Aid for Current Affairs

edited April 2013 in Current Affairs
Hi Guys,

I am looking forward for some help in CA as I work I have not been able to concentrate on CA at all :-S . Please can someone suggest me what to do :(( [-O< :-SS

Comments

• @amber , for about Currents unless you are giving bank po's , upsc hardly asks 8 or 9 questions from current and that also are related to subjects rather than news events. So make your grasp on subjects more strong , the more clear your basics are the more score you'll get.

but if you are more intent , use PD , wizard or chronicle , equally good.
  • edited April 2013
    @amber

Looking at the current scenario of competituve exams in India, CA (Current Affairs) can be divided into 2 portions :
    1. CA For UPSC exams.
    2. CA For non-UPSC Exams ( SSC / IBPS etc.)
    -
    Preparing 'CA' portion in the above 2 types of the exams takes wholely a different approach. Methods of preparing 'CA' are totally different in both the cases.
    -
    1. CA for UPSC exams:
    Well, if you are asking about CA for UPSC pre then they asked CA's 10 questions in Pre last year. Weightage of CA in UPSC prelums is very less compared to History, polity etc.Chronicle or PD may suffice for CA portion. If you were reading newspaper daily then you are going to have a sure shot. No doubt.
    Regarding CA in GS mains, following The hindu Or Indian Express hugely gives an ease in writing mains.
    -
    2. CA For non-UPSC exams:
    If you were asking for CA for non-UPSC exams like bank or SSC then you need to adopt a totally different approach for CA. I may write an elaborated reply regarding covering CA in non-UPSC Exams , if requested.
  • @sheen and @sanki

Thanks a lot guys :)

Also any idea where I can find the environment book for ICSE class 10
  • edited April 2013
    @amber

You'll have to look in market/local shops, because pdf or any copies are not even available on icse's site.
    But if you are looking for good material to read and prepare. look around in this forum, somebody has uploaded bharucha's book on environment. ITS quit detailed.

but i would recommend you to go to NIOS site , look in there Sr. secondary course section(12th) , and download the books on environmental studies , free. They will cover all the basic for you and.

Environmental Studies NIOS

For issues on environment and ecology Visit this, it has lots of article that i found interesting , read them , you'll gain lots of knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_environmental_issues

If you do this link and even leave reading books , you will cover most of your course.

The thing is upsc says general issues on environmental ecology, biodiversity and climate . Most candidate think is as they have to study the whole subject thoroughly , which i don't think so. most of the question upsc asks are on general issues. prepare well , gud luck with the exam.
  • edited April 2013
    And if you can read Plz read Environment section from 12th class bio book of ncert . good luck .
  • @amber

Looking at the current scenario of competituve exams in India, CA (Current Affairs) can be divided into 2 portions :
    1. CA For UPSC exams.
    2. CA For non-UPSC Exams ( SSC / IBPS etc.)
    -
    Preparing 'CA' portion in the above 2 types of the exams takes wholely a different approach. Methods of preparing 'CA' are totally different in both the cases.
    -
    1. CA for UPSC exams:
    Well, if you are asking about CA for UPSC pre then they asked CA's 10 questions in Pre last year. Weightage of CA in UPSC prelums is very less compared to History, polity etc.Chronicle or PD may suffice for CA portion. If you were reading newspaper daily then you are going to have a sure shot. No doubt.
    Regarding CA in GS mains, following The hindu Or Indian Express hugely gives an ease in writing mains.
    -
    2. CA For non-UPSC exams:
    If you were asking for CA for non-UPSC exams like bank or SSC then you need to adopt a totally different approach for CA. I may write an elaborated reply regarding covering CA in non-UPSC Exams , if requested.
    please tell about approach for current affairs for non upsc exams(banks,ssc etc.) also.
  • @abhay_hind

Bro , for banks , just give emphasis on events , person in news and front page headlines, Best is buy Pratiyogita darpan or some current affairs mag and learn them every month,

For ssc like exams , Focus on factual data on history, geography, polity, science, economics and computers/it that you keep hearing in news paper or can be read in any decent GK book.
    Refer either lucent's book on gk or arihants by manohar pandey.

------------Best is prepare for UPSC , you will automatically be prepared for everything else.
  • Hi @sanki

Thanks a lot man. That is a really good site.

All the best for your exam as well. %%-
  • Hi guys! A newbie here. Can anyone tell me from which month till which month should one prepare for current affairs? October 2012 to April 2013 sounds ok? And also can anyone suggest me any good book for the same..something in the lines of Wizards Current Affairs 2013 ? Thanks in advance :)
  • Oct 2012 to April 2013 sounds good but of course you can never be sure. PD , wizard or chronicle all will bring out the pre-prelims current affairs specials in april and may, buy a couple of those. Also, someone posted a compilation of important PIB notes in this forum, go through those. Focus on environment and govt policy related info.
    Since CA will have at most 10 questions, these all sources should be more than enough for the prelims.
  • edited April 2013
    @Liz Hi. Welcome to this forum.
    We must prepare current affairs from last one year from the date of an exam.
    If exam is in June 2014 then read current affairs from June 2013 to June 2014. It will be sufficient for all exams like UPSC/bank/SSC Etc. Also, CST and Chronicle both magazines are good for current affairs. You can choose either. (I hope you are preparing current affairs from The hindu also for UPSC).
    I hope my reply cleared your doubt.
    Don't hesitate in asking more questions. :-)
  • @Stardust1901 and @sheen Thank you guys..much appreciated :)
  • @sheen Thanx for the info, What abt the PIB and the gov schemes? How much time-window will be sufficient enough?
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog