ForumIAS:Current Affairs & Newspaper Analysis 2018(Morning Batch)
Batch will be started on 23rd December Click here

2016 Sociology Preparation Thread

All aspirants preparing for UPSC 2016 and have Sociology optional gather here!

Let us share our strategies, questions, doubts, banter, Anything!

The goal is to clear the exam and that too with Sociology and make the optional a strength and not a weakness.

Note: if any veterans of the optional could please pitch in, it would be amazing!
First Attempt: 2016

| What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals. |

Comments

• Awesome! We'll begin when more people join in.

| What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals. |

• Love sociology :)
    At first they will ask why you're doing it, later they'll ask how you did it!
  • This is amazing. We are finally catching up!

So how do we progress? I am starting with Harlambos. What about others?

• How are you guys starting?

• I am in was thinking to give this year but since optional and ethics arent upto mark dont wanna waste an attempt wasted one already :p
  • Haha. Welcome aboard!

• Thank you , suggestion for books please , gonna start with orange one of harlons , is that good?
  • Please dicuss what sources to follow?
    I tried reading H & H but I kept skipping the pages only. :P
  • start wid haralambos and holborn(that blue one),also do selectively eso(secialy for thinkers).if u can really "read between the lines" from haralambos,then believe me ur 70% job is well done.if one has problem in starting wid haralambos,then start from class 11 ncert.but,IMO u can start directly with haralambos as it is in very simple language,yet poweful and succinct.
  • Yes, Blue H&H is perfect. Also try IGNOU notes. They are pretty good too.

• Lets start afresh and have to make an outline as per the UPSC syllabus.....

Prominent Books---
    1.NCERTs
    2.H&H--The Blue Book and Orange Book
    3.IGNOU Notes
    3.Ritzer
  • Lets start afresh and have to make an outline as per the UPSC syllabus.....

Prominent Books---
    1.NCERTs
    2.H&H--The Blue Book and Orange Book
    3.IGNOU Notes
    3.Ritzer
    That's about a perfect outline!

Let's also focus on understanding and we can have a weekly plan and discussion.

• @Vortex....For that shall we start and go for the Thinkers on 1st stage in it....as you have mentioned to have a weekly plan and discussion on it after
  • @Ankss17
    Yes, let's begin with Thinkers first.

Let's try not only to memorise their teachings but also derive a real world perspective from that.

• go for ritzer only you are fully done with thinkers.
    it is a good book,but the language is tough,definitely not for starters.

it can be done only as to gain some extra edge.
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • Should be done in the order that's posted.

• @Vortex...Lets have a group of five to six candidates and after that chart out a weekly plan picking up P1 and P2 at the same time...
  • @Ankss17
    Cool. Let's do this. Whoever wants to contribute can join in!

• sare sociology toppers kehte hian ki harlambous ki moti wali BLUE BOOK se padi... woh concept builder book hain....... and that too 5th edition...... bhaion aga rkisi ke paas woh book digital format mein ho toh upload kardo.......

2nd baat...... chuki ORN market mein haralombos wali 5th edition BLUE BOOK nahi hain.... and book depot wale uski fotocopy banker bechte hain... so mene bhi fotocpy wali spiral book leli.. which has selected pages.. bcz woh book depot wali aunty ne kaha tha ki is books mein wohi pages hian jo upsc ke sullabus se relate karte hain and yeh books mohapatra sir and socio toppers ki suggest kiye hue pages hian...... faaltu pages hata diye gye hian........ toh mene woh book le li..... qki sab kehte the BLUE BOOK se pado....
    fiir mene karamlobus ki ek aur book khareedi jo CHHOTI MOTI AND ORANGE color ki hain.....
    jab men dono se padne betha toh i was shocked tht dono book ki written material (word to word) ek dum 100% DITTO SAME HAI........tht means mere ek book ke pese barbaad chale gye...... ab mujhe yeh samjhne nhi aa raha hain ki.... BLUEBOOK per itna focus kyo jan ORANGE Book bhi ditto same hain ???
  • @ashish07 Can you please give me the list of Chapters as marked out in your Photocopied Blue Book.....It would be better to go with that...

• edited July 2015
    @ashish07 Afaik blue Haralambos isliye suggested h kyunki usme nayi case studies hain. For example arab spring etc orange me nahi h. Orange wala bas reprint ho rha h but ye jo blue wala h iska updated version/edition bhi h .
    Apart from that many new chapters have been added in the blue one. Some of them may be helpful. I too have both of them (but have not read any of them thoroughly yet now).
  • hmmmmm new edition mein new topisc aa rhe honge.... but main thing is jab dono books same hain toh BLUE BOOK ka itna haalla kyo machaya hua hain @ingénue
  • @mrlobo Hi Sir!

1> Is it necessary to have the fifth edition of the blue book? I already have the 8th ed. I thought that the updated edition will be better.

2>Should we read both the orange and blue ones?

3> What should be the order of books among these --- Haralambos (both Heald/orange and Holborn/blue), Ritzer ,Ignou (both BA and MA) And NCERTs ( are the old ones too needed?).

TIA !
  • hmmmmm new edition mein new topisc aa rhe honge.... but main thing is jab dono books same hain toh BLUE BOOK ka itna haalla kyo machaya hua hain @ingénue
    Sorry for late reply. Apka post page refresh hone k baad dikha. Topics and case studies (matlab topics se pertaining real life examples ) have been added . You have to add case studies to better your answers. Umm... getting my point?

• ^^^
    having latest edition is good,though a little old editions will also do.

you can read them both,if you have the time energy and brains.make your choice.

ncerts are good for basics.avoid ritzer. ignou notes are comprehensive.

in short,all it matters is what you can recall after reading.
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • ^^^
    having latest edition is good,though a little old editions will also do.

you can read them both,if you have the time energy and brains.make your choice.

ncerts are good for basics.avoid ritzer. ignou notes are comprehensive.

in short,all it matters is what you can recall after reading.
    The third Sir. The order? And yes do we need the old socio NCERTs?

From ^^ I can deduce that its NCERTs --> IGNOU --> Haralambos --> Ritzer (lowest priority). Am I correct?

Also should paper 1 and 2 be read simultaneously?

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog