MGP/MGP+ 2018 - Starts 18th Nov - Admissions Open.
Admissions for MGP/MGP+ 2018 are now open. Course begins from 18th Nov, 2018. Read Complete details here. To subscribe visit http://instamojo.com/ForumIAS

Reviews: Amazon Kindle e-book reader

edited October 2015 in Tools & Technology
Moderator's note:

Also go through these two similar threads for reviews from other users.

http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/6471/kindle-paperwhite-review#latest

http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/10965/kindle-e-book-reader#latest

Kindly write a separate review only if it deals with a different aspect or if you have something to add to what hasn't already been mentioned.

Comments

• Anybody here is using amazon kindle e reader?
    I want to buy one and want to get some feedback from someone who used it
    I use Amazon and Kobo e-reader. For general books its great. For notes and all, it is not good that much as they are slow. It wont be as helpful directly for UPSC preparation, but if you are some who spends lot of time reading books, it's the best thing ever!
    A man is never too weak or too wounded to fight if the cause is greater than his own life.
    We do not choose love. It claims each man as it will.
    -Spartacus
  • edited July 2015
    i have kobo glo ereader. good for reading general books. not useful for reading academic material which usually comes in pdf. notes taking is pain in @$$.
  • I wanted to enquire if reading pdf was suitable.
    I mean, NCERTs and surveys and other text material.
    No , PDF reading is not at all good, I have a voyage. I read long articles sent to it, but not happy with PDF reading, if its single page layout you can convert to mobi, but if its side by side like epw, its not good.
  • Anybody here is using amazon kindle e reader?
    I want to buy one and want to get some feedback from someone who used it
    I use Amazon and Kobo e-reader. For general books its great. For notes and all, it is not good that much as they are slow. It wont be as helpful directly for UPSC preparation, but if you are some who spends lot of time reading books, it's the best thing ever!
    What would you suggest among the Kindle and Kobo e-reader?
  • I too bought amazon kindle e reader but it is not at all required/suitable for upsc preparation. For general reading it is awesome.
  • Kindle is good for general reading. PDF has equally good quality in it. You just have to email a document to your kindle id and add "Convert" in the subject, it will get converted to the required Kindle format.

I sometimes use it for UPSC, if I am travelling, I can easily go through any ebooks like survey etc. Kindle can supplement your books for this preparation, but can never replace them.
    IRTS (2015), ITS (2014).
  • I too bought amazon kindle e reader but it is not at all required/suitable for upsc preparation. For general reading it is awesome.
    true..me to tried reading ignou notes on my kobo glo..frustrating exprnc..had to go back to good old print outs..

• please give review of paperwhite 8999 can i read pdfs like mrunal visionias notes sriram notes easily in it...also can i read doc file ms word in kindle by converting it into pdf and then mobi format...should i go for voyage 16499 or paperwhite 8999 please tell me about backlight issue of paperwhite is itgood or should i go for automatic backlight of voyage but i know its quite costly plz help...
    THE HINDU : hinduism is responsible for all ills in this world including the extinction of dinosaurs..
    hindu tanman hindu jeevan rag rag hindu mera parichay
    KASHMIRI PANDITS N PAKISTANI BANGLA HINDUS TOO HAVE FEELINGS,RELIGIOUS SENTIMENTS AND YES HUMAN RIGHTS(as a MINORITY)
  • have you triedkindle paperwhite and used pdfs like mrunal material sriram material vision ias pdf booklets please tell me how is ur experience regarding these..facing any problem like font format or any other ...and can we easily convert our pdfs into kindle format
    what about doc word files..can we also read them in kindle by converting into pdfs..and one more do we have to buy screen guard scratch cover and back cover too or is not reqd.. i know i may be irritating you but its price has been reduced to 2000 less i dont know how long it will remain so thought to buy it today on dusshera..please reply
    THE HINDU : hinduism is responsible for all ills in this world including the extinction of dinosaurs..
    KASHMIRI PANDITS N PAKISTANI BANGLA HINDUS TOO HAVE FEELINGS,RELIGIOUS SENTIMENTS AND YES HUMAN RIGHTS(as a MINORITY)
  • which one is good for eyes with backlight or without backlight..in amazon reviews given 4999 kindle is without backlight and it is quite dim and causes eye strain...help but some are saying with backlight it causes strain on eyes(confused) bata do yaar experienced ho madad kar do kharidna hai aaj
  • Kindle is really good for notes making too. I have read all my english literature syllabus and many of history, law books and atleast 50 odd books out of syllabus on it.

Notes making, highlighting is very simple. You have to get hang of it. I highly recommend it.

It causes less strain on eyes than paper. My reading hours increased thus.

i count it as one of the best purchases ever of life.

Kindle without backlight is good only for day. Winters are coming and bed time reading in quilt is a joy of its own kind with kindle without disturbing others with light.

Go for the backlit version man. If I had some extra money I would have shared it with people free of cost who can not afford it.
  • which one is good for eyes with backlight or without backlight..in amazon reviews given 4999 kindle is without backlight and it is quite dim and causes eye strain...help but some are saying with backlight it causes strain on eyes(confused) should i go for kindle voyage 16499 rs one becaz automatic light adjustment help
  • which one is good for eyes with backlight or without backlight..in amazon reviews given 4999 kindle is without backlight and it is quite dim and causes eye strain...help but some are saying with backlight it causes strain on eyes(confused) should i go for kindle voyage 16499 rs one becaz automatic light adjustment help
    Go for backlight version.
    Agree with Larkin Auden completely. Kindle best investment of my life. Specially because, all novels are just a clip away, and you can trigger l transfer all highlighted notes to evernote easily. I love revisiting the highlighted portions of classics.

(But importance in GS preparation is limited. Except that you can transfer webpage to kindle, and read there easily. Helps me in reading lengthy caselaws, though; law optional)
    IAS 2016 batch.
    "My watch has ended."
    Go for backlight version.
    Agree with Larkin Auden completely. Kindle best investment of my life. Specially because, all novels are just a clip away, and you can transfer all highlighted notes to evernote easily. I love revisiting the highlighted portions of classics.

(But importance in GS preparation is limited. Except that you can transfer webpage to kindle, and read there easily. Helps me in reading lengthy caselaws, though; law optional)
    IAS 2016 batch.
    "My watch has ended."
  • buy kindle paperwhite from paytm.....they will give you 15% extra cashback by using coupon TAB15 over and above of 8999.....you can use cashback on railway tickets,books,recharges et al......otherwise try askmebazar ,although they are less reliable and they take ages to deliver the product but there you can buy paperwhite version at 7700 by applying coupon BOOK15 ......this is steal
  • have ordered paperwhite one last question does the backlight of kindle paperwhite affects eyes or causes strain for long reading or is same experience as 4999 one because i think backlight will mar the reading experience or become like led tab (plz help should i cancel my order and go for 4999) i read in room only witth proper light
    also tell me do we need to on the backlight even in day time is there option of switching off the backlight and make it like normal 4999 kindle without any internal screen light.. i fear that the inner backlight will stress my eyes for longer reading than simple 4999 kindle help ordered yestreday paperwhite should i cancel and go for 4999 or voyage
  • help kindle basic 4999 and paperwhite users 8999
    have ordered paperwhite one last question does the backlight of kindle paperwhite affects eyes or causes strain for long reading or is same experience as 4999 one because i think backlight will mar the reading experience or become like led tab (plz help should i cancel my order and go for 4999) i read in room only witth proper light
    also tell me do we need to on the backlight even in day time is there option of switching off the backlight and make it like normal 4999 kindle without any internal screen light.. i fear that the inner backlight will stress my eyes for longer reading than simple 4999 kindle help ordered yestreday paperwhite should i cancel and go for 4999 or voyage
  • THE HINDU : hinduism is responsible for all ills in this world including the extinction of dinosaurs..
  • @DrKingSchultz I am using kindle app on android and is program on PC, I find all features of paperwhite on them(almost), is there anything else special in device?
    The screen.. :)
    You can keep your eyes glued to it for 24 hours and they won't feel stressed.
    well said dr
  • @DrKingSchultz I am using kindle app on android and is program on PC, I find all features of paperwhite on them(almost), is there anything else special in device?

The screen.. :)
    You can keep your eyes glued to it for 24 hours and they won't feel stressed.
    well said dr
    I am using a kindle paperwhite, and I use it extensively. Has helped me finish a couple of books. Its a good device to carry minus the distraction of whatsapp , which happens on a phone.

The screen is its defining feature.

From a user's perspective, Kindle paperwhite is indeed stress free.

Technologically, Amazon claims that its screen is not backlit - like tablets and mobiles, where the rays are directed towards your eyes.

In a kindle, the light source is on the glass on the screen and light is directed towards the text and then reflected back and then meets your eye. So you don't have glaring issues as such. Sio kindle is not technically "backlit"

If you have a budget, go for it. In fact go for it. The non-lit one will be obsolete soon, and most people love their kindle devices - using it for like years. You don't buy a kindle every year, or even every three years.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • @neyawn i m lovin your writing style really you are a stud
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog