Download part 1 of the Economic Survey 2016-17 Vol. 2 summary by ForumIAS : Click here to DOWNLOAD

Handwriting Speed & Legibility Improvement Classe at ForumIAS
Dear Friends, We are arranging for a handwriting speed and legibility improvement course on August 27, Sunday at 3PM, by Mohan Ray from Healthy Handwriting. | . If you facing the problem of slow handwriting, you can take this course, which has been brought on the request of several students who were facing similar problems.

How can I improve my answer writing skills?

edited June 2015 in Preparation FAQs
I practice daily on insights on india, yet my answer writing skills show no improvement
·

Comments

• i joined the test series last week and have been practicing for the last 5 days
    ·
  • i practice writing 10 questions daily
    ·
  • which year will you be appearing for upsc and where have you joined coaching?
    ·
  • I think I have answer for ur query and its- practice. Persistent practice is the only remedy.
    ATB
    Stay Humble.
    ·
  • Persistent practise is no remedy ... U can write bullshit persistently and it wil remain bullshit even in your mains answer sheet ...

BAN ALL INSIDERS
    ·
  • Persistent practise is no remedy ... U can write bullshit persistently and it wil remain bullshit even in your mains answer sheet ...

Bhai I meant to suggest persistent practice with constant evaluation.
    Stay Humble.
    ·
  • edited June 2015
    Thank you @Pethick Lawrence for such a comprehensive answer. Was 2014 your first attempt?
    I'll be attempting civil services in 2017. For now i have started answering questions on insights but it is not more than 7 to 8 questions a day, which I hope will suffice.
    Did you join any test series or coaching institutes ? If yes then which ones?
    How many years before the exam did you seriously start preparing?
    ·
  • @Pethick Lawrence
    for this year I've joined khan study group cause I can't attend any weekday programme since I have college on weekdays. Khan study circle was among the few institutes offering weekend programme so i decided to join it.
    For next year I have decided to just devote my time for self study, test series and optional.
    For the time being this seems my action plan.
    ·
  • @ poojakumar I have read in psychology books that only way to improve creativity is smoking marijuana aka weed / ganja. Give it a try. It's most pleasant experience you can have. Babji ki booty. :)>- :))

·
  • Hi i am a beginner in preparations. Do you guys join any inst. which focus on to enhance quality writing???
    Preparing for 2016
    ·
  • bhai jaldi karo lukmaan sir ka writing skill developmwnt programme start ho gya GS k liye....ab toh yeah online bi hai
    http://neostencil.com/course/salamuddinansari_21514/
    ·
  • Thank you @Pethick Lawrence for such a comprehensive answer. Was 2014 your first attempt?
    I'll be attempting civil services in 2017. For now i have started answering questions on insights but it is not more than 7 to 8 questions a day, which I hope will suffice.
    Did you join any test series or coaching institutes ? If yes then which ones?
    How many years before the exam did you seriously start preparing?

Are you finished with all the basic books? If not then writing 7-8 answers a day will only be a futile exercise. In my opnion writing answers in comment sections of any website is only good for the beginning. Dont make it an end in itself. Expand your knowledge first.

The only good practice of answer writing one can have is by writing tests in time limit. Writing 7-8 answers in insights is a sheet wastage of time if you are aiming for 2017. Writing an answer from the comfort of your home without a time limit wont help you at all. Only write answers in test series once you get to know the basics of answer writing.

No one write brilliant answers in GS. Everyone tries to write as much above average answers as possible in 3 hours. There is no time for eloquence in GS. Stop wasting so much time on insight. Expand your knowledge. You have ample time and you can achieve many things with that. All the best.
    IRTS (2015), ITS (2014).
    ·
  • I think writing skills are overemphasised after 2013 without any reason - upsc is more about knowledge than writing skills - while reading books and newspaper try to maintain your own hand written notes + mains test series after prelims will suffice your writing skills. (This is my own experience)
    ·
  • moderator on forum are really very smart and making all fool or they don't know what to restrict or what not.
    ·
  • I am also victim of this forum review... ha ha ha... enjoy....
    ·
  • edited January 2016
    its true that in ~7 mins only incredibles can show there answer writing skills,that too with maintaining qualitative balance.IMO in upsc answer writing skills means that what u have written must be understandable,concise,less flowery,and most importantly just "simple".being a medical student i know the examination psychology,may be you all.that urs mind is in panic situation during examination,u will remember only those things that u have learnt previosly,you can't able to discover new thing,words,articulation in that panic situation.....beacause u have ~7 mins only.
    "revision is just like a paan leaves
    if it wudn't be turned continously it wud have rotten

similarly... if the revision has n't been done repeatedly it wud have forgotten".

·
  • @john snow--- "Writing 7-8 answers in insights is a sheet wastage of time if you are aiming for 2017."

bro what are you talking about.
    I am regular follower of insight.In fact,I am following the daily writing programme for last 2-3 months.
    I have found huge differences in my answers.
    ·
  • edited February 2016

@john snow--- "Writing 7-8 answers in insights is a sheet wastage of time if you are aiming for 2017."

I am regular follower of insight.In fact,I am following the daily writing programme for last 2-3 months.

No need for that. Have you ever wrote a full test of 3 hours for GS? You ll improve more if you write such tests. Writing from comfort of home with unlimited time is only good if you are unable to even frame senetences properly.
    Once you learn this, you will be better off writing tests. That's the real deal.

GS has changed after 2012. Small answers (150-200 words), very limited time. Just writng in concise to the point manner is needed. Nothing else. When GS had 30-40-60 markers, then such answer writing mattered.

Following people may, still, continue writing on Insight:-

1) Having very poor command over English.
    2) Those who generally fails in understanding the context of the questions.
    3) Very new in preparation. 3-4 months. Don't know how to write for this exam at all.
    4) Thos who dont make notes of Current Affairs and write answers so that they may remember the points.
    IRTS (2015), ITS (2014).
    ·
  • answer writing skills does not matter what matter' is quality of points and arguments and how much different they are than others that matters.examiner is smart enough and will give marks for only solid and logical points you make.
    ·
  • To have good answer writing skills u have to have good reading skills like me
    asli pehalwan ki pehchan akhaade me nahi jindaggi me hove hai
    Taki jab jindaggi tumhe utha k pattak pattak k maar giraye
    To koi aisa daav khelo ki jindaggani chit hojave.
    ·
  • Krk said:

To have good answer writing skills u have to have good reading skills like me

Real Mature!
    A man is never too weak or too wounded to fight if the cause is greater than his own life.
    We do not choose love. It claims each man as it will.
    -Spartacus
    ·
  • edited February 2016
    JohnSnow said:

@john snow--- "Writing 7-8 answers in insights is a sheet wastage of time if you are aiming for 2017."

No need for that. Have you ever wrote a full test of 3 hours for GS? You ll improve more if you write such tests. Writing from comfort of home with unlimited time is only good if you are unable to even frame senetences properly.
    Once you learn this, you will be better off writing tests. That's the real deal.

GS has changed after 2012. Small answers (150-200 words), very limited time. Just writng in concise to the point manner is needed. Nothing else. When GS had 30-40-60 markers, then such answer writing mattered.

3) Very new in preparation. 3-4 months. Don't know how to write for this exam at all.
    4) Thos who dont make notes of Current Affairs and write answers so that they may remember the points.
    @JohnSnow Sir test series are too costly like Vision and GS score. Parents are saying first clear prelims then join.
    What is the best possible solution u could suggest?
    Never Out of Fight
    ·
  • @JohnSnow Is possible to prepare for mains after pre and start answer writing then and get a post?
    ·
  • JohnSnow said:

@JohnSnow Sir test series are too costly like Vision and GS score. Parents are saying first clear prelims then join.
    What is the best possible solution u could suggest?
    Buy Vision question papers from ORN Delhi. It will not cost more than 20/ a test. Start attempting it in 3 hours. Get it checked from some teacher or senior aspirant who has good experience of last 2 Mains.

These are available online in some websites too. Follow Material for exam in Facebook. Roman Saini is one of the admin and it generally uploads material here:
    http://www.xaam.in/p/material-download.html?m=1
    IRTS (2015), ITS (2014).
    ·
  • @JohnSnow Is possible to prepare for mains after pre and start answer writing then and get a post?

Possible? Yes.
    Recommended? No.

Do completr Optional before Pre and have a good practice of writing tests of your optional too. Complete at least World History, India since independemce before Pre.

Between Pre and Mains, mostly focus on current affairs and giving about 10 GS test and same for Optional + Revision
    IRTS (2015), ITS (2014).
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog